🦋 dominic20 🦋

[ 8:35 AM ]

"you've been silent," i speak, breaking the two hour silence.

i miss talking to someone. most importantly i'm annoyed with the grass and leaves crunching underneath the soles of my shoes.

"i'm tired," she throws over her shoulder as she's a few inches ahead.

i give it some seconds before asking my next question.

"you're thinking about that guy, aren't you?"

"i don't want to talk about it."

"we had to. you saw what happened," i try to reason.

"yeah dom. i did. i want to move on."

"i don't want you holding that guys death over your your head. it wasn't your fault."

"but wasn't it?!" she questions, spinning around. "everywhere we go, it seems we're running into people who die!"

"how is that our fault?"

"i don't know! but it's too fucking much!"

"it's a virus, with no cure, that's what's to blame."

"dom, i don't want to hear any calming bullshit! i don't want to feel better! i lost my best friend. the only person that truly cared about me. now you're all i have and i barely know you!"

"but it doesn't feel that way and you know it."

"no, i don't. i don't want to feel this! why should i? nothing makes any fucking sense anymore!"

she turns back around and continues to walk.

i sigh and follow her.

"i know shit doesn't make sense but you make sense to me. you're the only thing that makes sense to me." she's silent. "you don't have to shut me out."

"i'd lose myself if i don't."

"well, ouch."

"i'm sorry," she sighs, rubbing her temples. "i don't want to be comforted right now."

"okay."

we continue in silence, finding a truck stop and entering.

we find maps and energy drinks, an aisle dedicated to chips and beef jerky, a water aisle and a back room with the 'bathroom' sign on it.

"you hungry?" i ask as she's searching through the maps on display.

"sure, just grab me regular potato chips."

i nod and grab three bags and try to juggle four water bottles in my arms.

"here, pass me two," ray snorts, taking two.

we go to the counter. it's a quiet transaction between us and the cashier. after soraya passes off the money, we stuff our new acquirements in my duffel.

ray navigates the map for a while, leading the way.

i pull a water bottle out and crack it open.

"we made it to lake charles. we're not going to make it to apple today but we definitely need to find someone to hitchhike with," she explains.

i sigh before gulping half of the bottle down. it soothes my dry throat.

"should we go back to the truck stop then?" i suggest, tapping her shoulder with the bottle, offering it to her.

she stops walking and grabs the water.

"yeah. come on," she answers and finishes the rest of the bottle. she passes the empty bottle to me and i put it back in my duffel as we turn around.

it's more silence.

the silence kills me. i don't care if she doesn't want to talk about it.

i want to talk about it!

"dominic! i swear! let it go!" she yells at me.

"are you reading my mind?!"

"what the fuck are you talking about?"

"i didn't say shit out loud. just like i didn't say that i'm dumb out loud in the bus," i point out.

"or when i was thinking about your purp-" i death glare her. "-lavender duffel," she giggles, holding her hands up in defense.

"so we can read minds?"

"we've only heard ourselves. thank god," she mumbles. "kind of."

"so we can... communicate? with each other?"

testing testing

soraya screams, clamping her hands over her mouth.

"i heard you!" she whispers. "that's both cool and creepy at the same time. don't go prying your way inside my head!" she warns.

"i don't know how to control it!" i remind her. "if i hear something then i hear it."

"no. no. no. you're going to make sure you don't take one peek. not ONE letter dominic. do you understand?"

"you ain't my mama," i smirk.

"do it and see what happens," she threatens.

"i like challenges."

she chips her lips and shakes her head. we make it back to the truck stop and try to find someone going towards baton rouge.