🕊 juniper84 🕊

[ 8:02 PM ]

"when do you think his friends will come for the van?" seph asks, tossing a BBQ chip into her mouth before crunching down on it.

for some, they find the crunch annoying, but for me, it's a strange sound i find comfort in. i'm not sure how long i knew i enjoyed the sound of chips crunching, but i never questioned why certain things never bothered me than it did for others.

"i don't know," i mindlessly answer, the crunching drowning out, replaced with the conversation we were having at the diner with dominic.

his urgent voice, stressed expression, frantic eyes, even the dire atmosphere- as if it was the last time he'd ever see anyone ever- replays over and over.

my thoughts and emotions are neither romantic or platonic. it's just him. burning a hole in my brain.

it's a bit unsettling.

i don't know how i know he's telling the truth or the strong sense of familiarity in his presence.

i... don't know anything really, except his face and the way he made me feel.

"june, what's up? you've been spaced out since the drive earlier."

i pick my head up and look at seph sitting in the three seater.

"dominic."

i sit up from laying on my back and pull my legs into a crossed position.

"should i be worried?" she asks, scrunching her face into a precious pout.

"it's not that... i could be really fucking wrong... but i think he needs my help," i speak, the words spilling from my mouth.

"you? your help?" she questions in a patronizing way.

yes, my help," i scold her, "i don't know how, but it's gnawing at me. my skin feels dirty. and it's only him i can think about. the terror in his eyes. his cold, sweaty skin. he didn't make the virus. he didn't have anything to do with it and i'm afraid they'll torture him until he dies," i tell her, eyes watering.

"you didn't even talk to him that long june."

"it didn't matter. he trusted me enough to tell us about the van. maybe we'll find answers when his friends get here, but this feeling is not going away."

"you're still my girlfriend right?"

i chuckle.

"here, come lay down with me," i call to her, holding my arms out.