🛠 grayson52 🛠

[ 7:32 PM ]

"is new jersey's checkpoint going to be the same as delaware's? asking for a friend," i question tapping nervously on my steering wheel.

"honestly, we have no idea," i hear dom.

"i don't want to... you know! anymore people!" i pout.

"but honestly, why not?" soraya questions.

i frown in confusion.

"are you okay soraya?" i ask.

"the world is already dying! what's-" she clears her throat. "-going to amount to?"

"uhm, i don't know, them finding a cure and we go to jail for..." dom trails off.

"cures take years to develop," matt says.

"and we sort of seem to be at an advantage when it comes to, well, anyone! we just found out apple can superhear!" soraya explains.

"it's still scary to be on the run," i tell her.

"stop being a pussy! everyone in this van has something to lose to a certain extent. it's us against anyone that dares to show us any type of disrespect! if you're with me, let me lead you to victory!" soraya roars, banging a fist on the table.

"are you done?" dom questions.

"yeah, i've always wanted to do a speech like that," soraya laughs. "seriously though, we can't be pussies. sorry apple. we can't be scared anymore. we're scared and they become ahead of us."

"we still don't even know who's exactly after us," dom reminds her.

"doesn't fucking matter. they took alex. delaware is a warning. we're not going to get comfortable. we can't get comfortable. we're gonna do this shit right."

i nod to myself.

she is pretty good at commanding people to rally after her.

she would've been a good protestor.

"who's in?"

"as long as we find noonie, i'm in," apple says.

"i'm in," i nod.

"i'm down," matt says.

"you don't have to ask me if i'm in babydoll," dom states.

"good. no back outs. from this point on, we take care of each other, no matter how much i don't like one of you."

[ 8:17 PM ]

the plan is simple.

they get no chance to call in the van.

soraya rolls her neck as she stands outside of the van. the side door is open so i can see her preparing herself.

i turn and look out the windshield, the checkpoint is only a few meters away.

"how many apple?" soraya questions.

"three," apple answers. "two women and a man."

"alright. we're doing this," i whisper to myself.

i creep up on the checkpoint, a woman in officer gear, holds her hand up to stop me. she walks up and i roll my window down.

"good evening sir, can i get you to-"

"let me stop you right there. i am in fact, harboring those fugitives," i smile at her.

her hand flies to her gun.

"what?!"

"hey!"

in front of the van, illuminated by the headlights is soraya, grinning and waving.

the officer next to me doesn't get a chance to react, as soraya picks her up and throws her down the road with her telekinesis.

a shot rings out and a half force field- a blue shield- is conjured in front of soraya, saving her from getting hit.

i look at apple, her hands clamped tightly over her ears and head down in her lap.

i look up, dom now on the ground from the roof hatch. he stands next to soraya pointing a gun at the barricades before it goes off, an officer falling dead.

soraya holds the last officer up in the air. i watch her form her red orb in one hand before throwing it up, hitting and ashing the officers entire existence.

holy shit that will never get sane to see.

the first officer who was thrown down the road, rolls over and sits up, grabbing at her head.

dom and soraya exchange words before his gun is up and he's taking aim at the woman.

a third and final shot sounds off and that's the end for the new jersey checkpoint murder show.

we're now home sweet home.

soraya and dom open the barricades and get back in the van. we continue driving.

"i'm not going to lie to you, that shit was dope as hell," matt laughs.

"sure matt," soraya says flatly.

"hey," dominic softly soothes, "we're in new jersey! you can finally tell me you were right."

"because i was," soraya jokes.

from the rearview, i can see soraya and dom hug each other.

we're in new jersey.

thank god.

[ 8:33 PM ]

"land sweet land!" soraya jokes as we file out the van.

we've made it to my family home. there's five rooms- well four but i turned the laundry room into my room for tiny home living practice. we also renovated a lot as well during the years of growing up here.

i couldn't wait to take a fat nap in my old bed.

"so you're rich?" matt asks me, checking out the front of the house.

"my dad was a teacher. my mom, a hairstylist. they just like to save," i shrug.

"generational wealth," soraya nods looking at dom and matt.

"ohhh," matt and dom say at the same time.

"uhm, do you mind if you guys stay here for a minute?" i ask, scratching my arm. "i have to take care of some things."

soraya and dom nod, respecting my wishes.

"why-"

soraya elbows matt in his side and he shuts up.

i nod and turn around going to the front door and finding the key under the mat.

i unlock the door and push it open.