🕊 juniper82 🕊

[ 5:10 PM ]

"the van's still there steph," i speak, watching the lone vehicle from the diner window.

"you think it's safe?" persephone asks behind me.

"no ones came and touched it. you think he was serious about the bed?" i ask, stretching my achy back. "i'm so tired of the fucking floor."

"well then let's try after we close up. okay baby? if you trusted the maniac, then i'll trust him too," she tells me, coming behind me and wrapping her arms around my waist. she pecks my neck.

i take in a relaxed breath at her touch.

"i don't know. he... seemed really familiar, and trustworthy. i don't know how to explain it," i tell her, holding on to her arms. "but, we don't have any customers and i don't think we'll be getting any soon. i think it's safe to close. just for today," i try to convince, "let's go enjoy something for us."

i know seph struggles with the pandemic and it's effects. i know she tries to act strong around me. i love her for it. i think we compliment each other well.

she releases me and i turn to look at her. she looks at the empty diner.

"you sure junnie?" she frowns, crossing her arms.

"yes sephie," i assure, grabbing her arms and uncrossing them. "we've been working, even during the pandemic. it's time to take a break."

i peck her lips softly and she smiles.

"alright. we'll scope it out first before we just occupy the space for us."

i giggle and clap my hands. she hits the lights as i turn our 'open' sign to 'close'.

she grabs my hand and we walk toward the van.

"if it's true, the amount of sleep we'll get," i grin to myself as we get closer.

"sleep?" seph smirks.

i scoff, pushing her away from me.

i feel my face heat up and i laugh to cover up the awkwardness.

"yes. sleep," i restate. we reach the back of the van and stare at the doors. "if he's right about this, then he really didn't start the virus. no one would be that nice to us. of all people."

"i will believe you then."

we both lay a hand on either door handle and pull it open.

my jaw drops and i stare in bewilderment at the interior of the van. there was indeed a bed but there were cupboards too, like a chunk of a house cut out and placed here in the back of this van.

"seph... babe... do you believe now?"

"yes i do juniper maryann wesley."

"you know i hate my middle name," i pout.

"i'm sorry babe," she apologizes, trying to hug me.

i stop her.

"i used to watch loads of videos on these tiny homes and i'm seeing one in person!" i exclaim, climbing inside. "dom's so nice!"

i kick my shoes off, testing the mattress. it feels amazing. anything is amazing than the tiled floor and using paper towels as pillows; and not the good kind.

there's a small blanket but it's do-able. i'm not complaining.

i search the cabinets but find cleaning supplies only. i climb over a three seater and look in between the driver and passenger seat.

"ooh! the bbq chips!"

i grab them and realize there's a map sitting on the seat. the spot the van is in is marked on it. i grab the map and see a set of keys underneath.

i turn and see seph sitting on the mattress edge, smoking a cigarette out the back of the open van. she puffs on her cancer stick, the smoke clouding and disappearing in front of her.

i toss the chips on the bed in her direction and grab the keys.

"seph the keys are here," i tell her.

"his friends were coming for the van, remember?" she points out, inhaling again.

"yeah. let's take a ride!"

"did you not hear what i just told you june?"

"we'll bring it back! we haven't seen anything new in how long?!" i plead.

i just need to feel the wind on my face. something else besides this parking lot and that stupid diner.

she sighs and flicks her cigarette away.

"alright my love. five minutes, then back here."

i grin to myself.

i always get my way.

"i love you."

"you love when i say yes. keys." i toss her the keys and she catches them. "i love you too."

i grin and climb in the passenger seat. i listen as she closes the back doors and i'm in the silence of the van.

i turn around, staring at the decor once more, taking it in.

thank you dominic.

persephone joins me, hopping in drivers. she looks at me as she starts the van up.

"just five minutes persephone," i smile.

she puts the van in 'drive' and grabs my hand, giving it a kiss.

i sit back and enjoy the ride.