🛠 grayson42 🛠

[ 1:17 AM ]

an awkward atmosphere sits stale inside the van.

from what i could hear, i could tell what was going on with soraya. i didn't expect her to react to the end of the world like that but i hope she's okay.

we're experiencing the literal end of the world.

what the hell is life right now?

we're on a two way road. it's pitch black out. only thing my eyes can see are the headlights illuminating the ground and bugs flying in and out of the lights. i track red rear lights a few meters ahead of us.

the break lights come on and i strain my eyes to see why.

"oh shit!" i curse loudly, it flying out of my mouth. "fuck! fuck!"

"what the hell?!" matt asks behind me.

"th-they're checking cars!" i yell as we move closer to the barricade that's set up. "hide!"

i slow the car down slightly to allow time.

"where?!" dom and soraya question at the same time, soraya popping up out of her sleep.

i run my mind of possible scenarios of where they can place themselves without being seen.

"the benches!" i state.

"what?" dom exclaims.

"when we built this van, the benches were- are storing units! they could fit me! so i'm sure it'll fit you!"

i can see the officers a bit more clearly. i count six.

"matt! help!"

from the rearview, i watch dom guide matt in dismantling the bed in lightening speed.

dom helps soraya and apple into one of the benches. matt helps dom into the other bench box, covering him with the blanket.

i assist him verbally in setting the table on properly. he jumps into the three seater as i slow to a stop behind the car that i was tracking.

two officers on either side of the van hold their palms up to me as four others are searching the car in front of me. all of them wear masks and gloves.

i place both of my hands on the steering wheel as the officer on my side of the van walks up to my window.

"just chill," matt whispers to me.

the officer knocks on my window twice, making my heart race. he points down to the ground and i roll the window down.

"how you doing sir? how's your night going?" he questions, standing close, peering inside the van, most likely seeing matt.

"it's alright."

"can i get you to state your business traveling?"

"just trying to get to my home in maryland. my moms there alone," i lie, surprising myself at how i'm keeping my cool.

"we're looking for two fugitives, they go by the names of dominic fike and soraya peters. have you seen them?" he asks, holding a picture of the two hiding in my van up.

i peer at the photo a little before looking away.

"no sir. i haven't."

he pockets the photo.

"who else is in the car with you sir?"

"that would be my friend. he lost his parents to MAX, so we were just-"

"do you mind if we check the vehicle?"

"uhm, no sir. go ahead," i shrug.

"mckellan you're with me on side door. scheffield, rok, you're in the back."

four officers disperse around my van and open most of my doors besides mine and passenger.

one steps inside from the back.

"oh shit! how did you do this?" one of the officers ask sitting on soraya's bench at the table.

"it's pretty easy," i say, eyeing him in the rearview mirror.

"i should build me one of these when i want a vacation from the misses."

"hell yeah, it'll be a nice man cave for the men."

the officers disregard the bench boxes but check the cabinets.

my mind remembers the duffels when one of the officers crouch down.

"what's inside the duffels?" an officer questions.

"my clothes," matt states, confidently.

i hear a zipper and time freezes.

this is a do or die situation.

if they find the guns, i'm fucked.

we would all be fucked.

oh shit.

"yeah. it's clothes. everything checks out. let's get going boys. you two have safe travels."

the officers leave, closing the doors one by one, a wave of relaxation slowly washing over me after each sound.

they wave me through and i drive steadily for a few miles.

how the fuck did that just happen?

"okay, get them," i finally say.

matt jumps over the three seater and dismantles the table. he opens both boxes and soraya, dom and apple take deep breaths getting out.

"i hated that!" soraya informs.

"yeah!" apple agrees.

"well i don't think it's the last time. they probably have state line checkpoints for you two," i tell them.

"can i see a map?" soraya questions. i pass matt the one i'm using and he passes it to soraya. "next one is going to be south carolina. someone wake me around 3:30. at this rate, checkpoint will be around four or so," she says and the map makes its way back to me.

i watch dom transform the table back into the bed and soraya lays down.

getting to new jersey is not going to be an easy task.