new neighbor || d. statham (request - @JadeeGreeen)

thanks for requesting!
————————
"Hey, Hollywood! What exciting things do you have going on today? Breakfast with Brad Pitt? Or maybe a movie premiere tonight with Tom Holland?"

I laughed at my best friend and tried not to think about how much I missed her and her jokes. "More like breakfast by myself and job searching tonight. I don't know why you think that just because I moved to California that my life is suddenly exciting."

"It could be if you got out more. I know for a fact you have not attempted to meet anyone and spending hours every day on the phone with me is your excuse." I didn't reply, which just added fuel to her fire. "And your silence means I'm right."

"Fine, maybe. But I can't just go over to random houses and say 'Hey, my name's (Y/N) and I'm lonely, please be my friend.' They'll think I'm a freak!"

She scoffed and I know that if she were here, she would already have the whole neighborhood wrapped around her finger and people begging to hang out with her. "It would be no weirder than half the stuff you say that the people across the street do! Just the other day you sent me a picture of their yard it was pure snow."

I laughed and pulled myself up from the couch. It was hard to ignore them seeing as they always seemed to be screaming loud enough for the whole street to hear so I kept Chloe updated on what they were up to. "Speaking of them, I haven't opened my blinds at all this morning. I wonder what they're up to today?"

"Maybe building a treehouse that connects all the trees in everyone's yards? Or maybe hosting a petting zoo?" I laughed at her exaggerations but stopped when I saw what they were actually doing. "What? Am I right?"

"Not even close," I said, squinting to make sure I was seeing things clearly. "There are, like, seven guys in a plexiglass box in their front yard and they are screwing the door shut."

"You're lying," she said but I changed our call to FaceTime so she could see for herself. She gasped and moved closer to her phone, also squinting as if she couldn't believe what she was seeing. "Oh my gosh, you weren't lying."

I shook my head and laughed at her confused face. "How could I have made that up?" We continued watching them together for a minute and I took this time to work up the courage to go talk to them. "Okay, I'm going to see what they are doing. I'll keep you updated."

"Yes (Y/N), make friends! But not if they're crazy," she added at the end, and I laughed although I wasn't sure that this type of thing was normal people's behavior.

Before I lost my nerve, I crossed the street and hovered by the fence until one of the boys in the box pointed to me. A boy with curly hair turned and gave me a big smile, opening the gate and motioning for me to step inside. "Hey, you just moved in across the street, right? We've been meaning to come say hi but we've all been so busy. I'm Jc!"

"Oh, um, yeah I did. I'm (Y/N)." He pointed to one of the lawn chairs that were scattered around the yard and I hesitated.

One of the other boys behind the glass laughed at my look of terror and Jc seemed to sense that I was a little worried about what was going on. "Oh, this looks weird doesn't it?" I laughed a little and he pulled his phone out, holding it out for me to see. "My friend Kian and I do YouTube videos and we are giving whoever can stay in this box the longest ten thousand dollars."

I let out a sigh of relief that I wouldn't have to be calling the cops today and laughed along with everyone else. "Oh my gosh, good. I was a little worried when I looked out my window and saw this happening."

"They all agreed to this because they are desperate for money," Kian said, making all the boys start yelling over one another. "And now maybe they'll try to win to impress you, who knows. Right Dyl?"

The boy who had been staring at me turned red and I could feel my cheeks do the same. I smiled a little bit and took this as a good opportunity to take the seat that Jc offered me and change the subject. "So is this your job?"

"Yep, all of us do it and we love it. What do you do?"

I gave him a strained smile, the stress of my lack of a job coming back over me. "I'm looking for something right now. I knew finding a job out here would be hard, but it's getting a little ridiculous."

Kian gave Dyl another devilish smile and turned to me. "Do you know anything about video editing?" I shook my head but Kian brushed it off and kept talking. "Because Dylan here and his channel partner Will could really use an editor/assistant and I think it would be perfect for you!"

Dyl turned a deeper shade of red, but I told myself it was the heat and pretended not to notice. "Well, I'm sure I could learn."

"That's the spirit! You're welcome Dyl!"

I stayed for a long time, quickly becoming friends with everyone and watching as they, one by one, gave up. I tried not to stare at Dylan too much but it seemed like every time I looked at him, he was looking at me and I found myself hoping he would give up soon so I could actually talk to him.

Finally, he tapped out and he immediately came over to me, smiling shyly. "So, were you serious about the editor thing? Because I really wouldn't mind teaching you and it would be great to have someone help us with stuff for our channel."

"Yeah, absolutely! Do you have to ask your channel partner first?"

He fished his phone out of his pocket and handed it to me. "Yeah, but until then you should give me your number. You know, so I can let you know what we decide."

"Or so he can ask you out," Kian butted in, and we both smiled.

"Yeah, or that. Mostly that."

We exchanged numbers and I headed back across the street, calling my best friend as soon as I was in the door. "Ah, so you aren't dead?"

"Nope, I am very much alive and I acquired a very cute boy's phone number!"

She squealed with me and I could hear her proud smirk when she spoke. "See what happens when we talk to people?"