fight || c. la barrie

don't wait up for me tonight, my trainer and I are going to work late so I'm ready for the fight next week. I'll see you in the morning, love you xx

I frowned at the text and tried not to be too disappointed. It seemed like this whole week Corey had been training harder than ever and I couldn't really figure out why. His fight next week was with someone way less experienced than him and after the hours he had been putting in at the gym lately the guy was going to be toast.

I called Franny and hoped that she wasn't busy at all so I didn't have to stay in the house by myself all night. "Hey, Fran, what are you up to tonight?"

"Hey (Y/N)! Crawford and I are just chilling at the house. You and Corey can come if you want," she said and I heard Crawford mumbling something before Franny's tone changed. "Oh, or just you I guess."

"Yeah, Corey's training tonight but I think I'll come over."

After being there for about an hour I could tell they were hiding something from me because of their forced smiles and constant need to talk. "What do you guys know that I don't know?"

Franny looked to Crawford before quickly standing up and saying that she forgot she had an important email to answer. I rolled my eyes and watched Crawford squirm until he finally answered. "I swear we aren't hiding anything about Corey from you."

I raised my eyebrows and leaned forward. "You want to know how I know you're lying? I didn't mention anything about Corey, but now that I know you have a guilty conscience, spill everything."

Crawford closed his eyes and furrowed his brows. "I promised him I wouldn't tell you," he mumbled which made me lean farther forward.

He opened his eyes and I gave him a pleading look. What could Corey be hiding from me that was important enough to make his friends promise not to tell me? "Please Crawford?"

His hands raked through his hair nervously before answering. "He has a fight tonight." I held my breath and nodded so he would continue. "He didn't want you to worry."

My leg started bouncing as I reached for my phone. I knew exactly who he was fighting because we had this conversation a few weeks ago. As much as I believed in him and his ability, the guy was huge and had put more than one of his opponents in the hospital by the end of the fight. We had agreed that he shouldn't accept, but now all the hours he had spent at the gym made sense.

"Don't call him. The fight's going to start soon and if he knows that you know, it's going to throw him off. Seriously," Crawford said, sitting down beside me and reaching for my phone.

I yanked my arm away and couldn't stop myself from shaking with fear and anger. "Where is it?" Crawford started trying to talk me out of it but I stood up and crossed my arms. "You can tell me or I can find out on my own. Either way, I'm going to this fight."

"He doesn't want you there. In case it goes bad," Crawford whispered, trailing off. I scoffed and started to dial Corey's number. Crawford was quick this time, grabbing the phone from my hands and stuffing it in his pocket. "Okay! Okay, I'll take you."
———————————————————————
Crawford parked in a lot beside a warehouse that was full of other cars. There was no way that this many people were inside that small building. We walked to the door and he whispered something to the man collecting money before he opened the door for us.

Crawford turned and grabbed my hand tightly. "Don't let go of me, okay?"

I nodded and let him lead me through the throng of screaming people to the front near the makeshift ring. I stopped dead in my tracks when I saw Corey, sitting in his corner with blood pouring from his face and his wrist twisted at an awkward angle.