college girl || b. mares

"Are you in an airport?" I squinted at the screen and tried to get a better view of the background.

Bobby held his phone out so that I could see more and nodded. "I'm just flying in to see some family for the weekend," he said with a shrug and my heart ached.

I wished more than anything he was flying to see me. It had been over four months since I had seen him because of going back to college for the fall semester. I had spent the whole summer with him and all of his friends so being back at school felt lonely without them.

"Why the long face?"

He snapped me out of my thoughts and I just smiled. "Sorry, I just miss you and wish you were here with me," I said and he made a pouty face. "I'm happy you're going to see your family though. Tell them I say hi!"

We talked until he had to board and I blew him a kiss before hanging up, an exasperated sigh coming from my lips. My roommate turned from her position at her desk and smiled.

"What's that look for?" When she didn't answer I threw a pillow and she laughed.

"Nothing! It's just cute to see you in love," she said and I blushed.

The next day my classes were over by lunchtime and I spent the rest of the day finishing up some homework so I could just relax this weekend.

My roommate had been pacing for about half and hour and I finally had enough. "Can you please sit? You're making me nervous," I grumbled.

Her phone dinged and she grinned down at it. "Hey, I invited over a friend from one of my classes to study, is that okay?" I just nodded and turned my attention back to my binder until a knock on the door pulled me away again.

I walked over and opened it, my mouth dropping when Bobby was standing in front of me and my roommate was behind him, recording with his camera. He immediately wrapped his arms around me and picked me up and I couldn't help but cry.

"Hey, don't cry!" He pulled away and wiped my cheeks with a laugh before hugging me again. "Are you surprised?"

"Are you kidding? Oh my gosh, how did you keep this secret from me? This is so amazing," I said, laughing. "Are you here for the whole weekend?

He nodded and I squealed with excitement. "See, I can be nice to you sometimes," my roommate said and I gave her a hug too.

"So college girl, what crazy things are on the agenda this weekend?" I rolled my eyes but he laughed when I told him my plans for the night. "Bingo? Wow, since when were you my grandma!"

I slapped his arm and laughed again. "For your information I just help with it. And also you can win money so I wouldn't hate on it too hard." Bobby wiggled his eyebrows at the mention of winning money and didn't complain when I dragged him along with me.

When it was over Bobby came out twenty dollars richer and a wide smile on his face. I was exhausted when we got back in the room and my roommate gathered up her stuff to sleep over in a friend's room to give Bobby and I "some alone time."

We both changed into our pajamas and I threw a hoodie at him. He held it out with a raised eyebrow and looked back at me. "What am I doing with this?"

I blushed and crawled into the small twin bed he was already occupying. "Can you wear it instead of the one you have on? It doesn't smell like you anymore," I said quietly and he smiled, changing into it quickly.

Laying with him was extremely comfortable and I woke up the next morning in his arms, exactly how I wished I could wake up every day. He was already awake, scrolling through his phone and smiled down at me when he noticed my eyes on him. "Hey there sweet girl."

I smiled and stood up, stretching. As much as I wanted to stay, I had planned on going to the football game today and we had to go to the school store and get Bobby some college gear.

As I had suspected he wasn't the biggest football fan but it was adorable and I couldn't stop laughing.

"Heck yeah!" He was jumping up and down excitedly when a touchdown was scored but I tugged on his arm and tried to explain through my laughter that the other team had scored the touchdown. He smiled with a shrug and said "At least I knew what was happening!"

Sadly the weekend came to an end and he had his suitcase packed up on Sunday afternoon. I was trying my best not to make a big deal out of it and not cry but I completely melted when he pulled me into his arms.

"I miss your hugs already," I whispered and he squeezed me tighter.

"I wish I didn't have to leave." He pulled away and kissed my forehead and I smiled as best as I could. "Oh I almost forgot." He pulled the hoodie off and reached into his suitcase, pulling out his cologne. He gave it a few sprays and handed it to me. "Freshly worn and smelling like me."

"Perfect. Thanks Bob." I walked him down to his car and wrapped my arms around him again. "Have a safe flight." This time he placed his kiss on my lips and nodded.

"I love you sweet girl."

"I love you more." I watched while he drove away and waved until he couldn't see me anymore. When I got back up to the room my smile brightened as I noticed a stuffed bear with a little sweatshirt laying on my bed and a note:

Hey sweet girl! I miss you already and you're probably missing me too. I saw this bear in the airport and I don't know why but it reminded me of you and I thought that maybe any time you missed me you could give him a squeeze and it might make you feel better. But don't start liking his hugs more than mine ;)
Love you always,
Bob xx
p.s. he also requested that his sweatshirt smell like me, how crazy?!

I gave the bear a squeeze and smiled. Definitely not as good as Bobby's but it would do until I could get the real thing.