eye of the storm || k. lawley

"You're so selfish and inconsiderate!" Kian yanked his jacket on as he shoved his phone and wallet into his pants pocket. He glared as he walked out of the bedroom, and I trailed behind him.

"I'm selfish and inconsiderate? You're an absolute hypocrite! I've told you I don't know how many times that parties make me nervous but every time I refuse to go to one we have the same argument!" I frowned as I watched Kian search the living room and kitchen for his car keys.

We had had this fight countless times and it was beginning to get old. Kian loved parties, which was absolutely fine with me, but I hated when he got mad at me for not wanting to go to them. I usually didn't know anyone there and just sat awkwardly at a table the whole time. What was the point of going with him if he abandoned me to talk to more important people the rest of the night?

"You can suck it up for one night! This is a very important event and I wouldn't be going unless I had to! And besides, all of our friends are going to be there, so how am I going to explain to them where you are? 'Oh sorry, she couldn't come because she was being too antisocial!'" He found his keys and flew out the door, slamming it hard enough to rattle the windowpanes.

I knew he wasn't trying to upset me but his comments really made me feel bad about myself. I couldn't help it that social events made me nervous. He didn't know what it felt like to constantly feel like I was in his shadow, like I wasn't important enough to be there.

I shrugged the argument off as best I could and decided to take a relaxing bath. That always helped when I felt stressed. I slowly walked up the stairs, hyperaware of any and all noises. I panicked when I was home alone but I was getting better.

Suddenly I heard a huge crash and my steps halted. I stood as still as possible and listened for more noises. I heard the soft patter of raindrops on the roof and sighed with relief. Although I was terrified of thunderstorms, I had an awful image in my head of being robbed so I would take rain over that any day.

However because of the approaching storm a relaxing bath was out of the question. I sighed and climbed the last few stairs and headed for my bedroom. I hated thunderstorms more than anything. Ever since I was little they terrified me and Kian was usually here with me when they happened. He knew how afraid I was so we would usually cuddle up in bed and watch a movie, him making me feel safe.

But he wasn't here. I looked around the room and another clap of thunder shook the house. I dove for the bed and pulled the blankets up around my head. I could feel the tears start to well up in the eyes and I willed them to go away.

'It's okay (Y/N), just thunder,' I thought to myself as I peeked out of my blankets. I laid there for a little while longer, waiting to see if there would be anymore. When I thought the coast was clear, I pulled myself off the bed but crawled right back under when I heard the next clap, louder and closer than before.

I laid in the dark for the next hour, shaking and crying over a thunderstorm. I hated that I was so scared but I couldn't help it. I eventually pulled myself out of the bed and walked to the bathroom, where I felt safer. There were no windows and I somehow felt farther away from the storm.

This didn't soothe my nerves at all though. I curled up into a ball on the tile ground and cried. I wished Kian was there with me.

As if on cue, the bathroom door flew open and there was Kian, soaked with his hair dripping. He dropped down beside me, pulling his jacket off and pulling me into his chest. He rocked me and smoothed my hair until I could finally pull myself together.

"Baby, why in the world are you in here?" Kian tucked pieces of hair behind my ears and I looked up at him.

"You weren't here. I felt safer in here," I said with a shrug. He frowned and pulled me back into his chest, kissing the top of my head.

"I'm so sorry, as soon as I heard the storm I came back but there was an accident that I couldn't get through and...I'm really sorry," he said. I shifted on his lap so I was eye level with him and brushed his cheek.

"It's okay, I shouldn't be a baby about it. I just can't help it," I said. He shook his head at me.

"No, it's okay to be scared. And I'm not just sorry for not being here, I'm sorry for all the mean things I said earlier. I didn't mean any of them," he said with a shrug. I nodded and kissed his cheek, standing up and sticking my hand out for him.

I pulled him up and led him into our bedroom, throwing him a pair of dry pajamas and waiting for him to change. When he came back in the room I had already stuck a movie in the DVD player.

Before we could get settled the thunder boomed again making me jump. Kian wrapped his arm around me and I cuddled into his side. Now that I had my security blanket back, the storm seemed not so bad after all.