misunderstanding || c. la barrie (request - @sundaze97)

thanks for the request! <33
                                ————————
"Glad to see you're finally out of bed," Bobby teased, ruffling my hair on his way past the couch. I tried to give him my best smile, but he knew I still wasn't okay. "Breakfast?"

"No thanks," I mumbled, checking my phone to see if I had any calls or texts from Corey. After our fight a few nights ago I wasn't sure if I would ever see his name pop up on my phone again.

"Stop checking that," Bobby said, his lips pressed into a frown. "He isn't worth all the crying you've been doing over him."

Hearing Bobby talk about him like that made my chest hurt. "Don't say that. You're his best friend."

"Was." Bobby's voice was hard as he started to make breakfast more aggressively. "If he hurt you enough to make you show up here crying then he isn't the kind of guy I thought he was." I decided staying quiet was the best way to make this awkward subject go away faster but Bobby wasn't finished. "And then he doesn't even call to try to make things right?"

"I told him not to," I said to defend him, but Bobby shook his head quickly.

"I don't care what you told him. You are such an amazing person and he should know that," he said through clenched teeth. Seeing Bobby so angry was so weird since he was always so positive and happy.

I shrugged and he sensed that I was done talking, putting some toast on a plate and handing it to me. "I'm not hungry Bob."

"I don't care (Y/N), you need to eat something. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day!" His tone was playful again and I decided the least I could to was eat toast to make him happy.

He sat down beside me and waited for me to finish so we could do the next part in our daily routine: playing Mario Kart. I had just beat him for the first time ever when his phone rang and broke into my victory dance party.

He was chuckling at me, but his smile disappeared when he glanced down. I could see Corey's picture filling the screen, and I watched Bobby's finger hover over the decline button. "Just answer," I whispered. He frowned but accepted the call, holding the phone up to his ear. "Speaker," I whispered.

He looked uncertain but did it to please me. "What do you want?"

"Is (Y/N) still there?" I frowned at his question. How would he know I was here in the first place? This whole time I was thinking that he didn't even care about me enough to ask if I was safe, but he knew where I was all along.

"Yes," Bobby said through gritted teeth. "How did you know she even was here?"

"You're her best friend, where else would she go? And Kian told me." He sounded so sad and I felt bad but remembered he was the one that had hurt me, so why should I feel bad? "Is she okay?"

"Not really Corey," Bobby said again, giving him the shortest answers possible. "Do you even care?"

"Of course I care," Corey whispered, his voice breaking. "I keep thinking over everything that happened and how it all just went so wrong. I just want to talk to her."

I could see the curiosity in Bobby's eyes as I laid down to avoid eye contact. I had never actually told him what happened, mainly because I didn't want to talk about it, but also because I was afraid that I was overreacting.

"What did you do to her? She hasn't wanted to talk about it," Bobby said, keeping his eyes on me as Corey sighed.

"My friend has just been going through some stuff with her relationship and she was at my apartment. We were talking and then she just kissed me all of a sudden. (Y/N) walked in and I couldn't explain what was happening fast enough," he said, and I could picture his hand pushing through his hair anxiously as he talked. "I don't want her to hate me over something that wasn't my fault."

Bobby's eyes softened as he took Corey off speaker and went into his room to finish talking. I closed my eyes and buried my head in the couch, screaming into the pillow. I had spent the past three days being mad at him over something that wasn't even his fault, and I felt like the biggest jerk in the world.

I felt Bobby's hand on my back but I didn't look up at him. "Corey's coming over, okay?" The thought of seeing him after radio silence made me cry harder because now I would have to apologize for being the worst girlfriend in the world.

Bobby sat with me, rubbing my back until someone knocked on the door. I stiffened but kept my head buried as Bobby let Corey in. He whispered something before I heard his bedroom door shut.

"Hi (Y/N)," I heard him whisper. I took a deep breath before sitting up, willing myself not to cry. When I saw his scruffy stubble and puffy eyes, I couldn't help but bury my head in my hands. "Don't cry baby."

"I'm sorry," I whimpered as he sat beside me, pulling me into him. "I'm sorry I didn't listen to you and I'm sorry I didn't text you and I'm just sorry for everything. I blamed you but you didn't even do anything."

He shushed me and ran his hand through my hair. "I would've probably reacted the same way. Don't be sorry, okay? I'm sorry I didn't reach out, but you said you didn't want to talk to me. I was trying to do the right thing."

I nodded and looked up at him. "You look tired," I said, wiping a stray tear from his cheek.

"I don't sleep as well when you're gone," he said with a shrug, and my heart melted at his sweet words and blushing cheeks.

"You won't have to worry about that anymore," I said, wrapping my arms around his neck.