bake with me || k. lawley

"Absolutely not!" I squirmed out of Kian's grasp as I tried to finish my grocery list. I was making cupcakes for my best friend's baby shower and they needed to be perfect. Having Kian "help" would cause things to be not so perfect.

"Why not (Y/N)? I baked with my mom dozens of times when I was little and everything was fine! We'll have so much fun. Pleeeeease?" He forced me to look at his puppy dog eyes until I thought my heart would melt.

"Okay! Okay, fine. But you have to promise you won't do anything to intentionally ruin anything, okay?" I wagged my finger at his face as he put his hands up in the air. I nodded and grabbed my wallet as we walked out the door.

Kian was not being a huge help already and we had only just arrived at the grocery store. He was worse than a child, I swear: trying to sneak cookies and chips into the cart.

He whined as I tried to make a decision on cake flavors and icing colors. He whined as we stood in line to pay. He even whined as we pulled in the driveway because he didn't want to take the bags inside the house.

"I think it's about time for your nap, baby boy," I said, smirking and grabbing his cheek. He flashed a fake smile and grabbed a handful of bags.

When everything was unpacked and organized I called him back into the kitchen. "Okay, before we start I have some ground rules: don't make a mess and don't mess up. Easy enough," I said. I could see the mischief gleaming in Kian's eyes as he grabbed for a bowl and spoon.

"Sounds good to me. Now how about we just start dumping stuff in and see what happens?" He grabbed the bag of flour and I lunged for it.

"How about we actually follow the recipe?" I got the appropriate supplies out of his cabinets and we started.

I wouldn't necessarily call the experience 'fun.' I spent almost the entire time keeping Kian out of trouble. But we finally made it, and I gave a sigh of relief as I slid the last pan into the oven. I surveyed Kian's appearance as I turned back around and smiled. He had flour dusted through his hair and cupcake batter smeared on his face and shirt.

"I think I might go take a shower," he said as I nodded in agreement. "You won't frost without me, right?"

"Of course not. Now go." I scooted him out of the kitchen and sat down at the table to wait for him and the oven timer.

Almost as if on cue the oven timer rang and Kian flew into the kitchen, freshly showered and just barely dressed. I pulled the tins from the oven and set them down while I grabbed the frosting from the counter.

"Hey guess what?" I was turned away from Kian as I pulled a knife from the drawer. I raised my eyebrows in answer to his question as I turned around, but I was met with a hand full of frosting from Kian.

He laughed at my look of shock and took the knife from me, beginning to frost in silence. Before he could react, I shoveled frosting out of the container and aimed for Kian's face.

This sparked a food fight and we laughed and ran around the kitchen, dodging balls of pink and blue frosting until we were out of breath. Kian glanced around at the mess, then to the containers of frosting.

"Um (Y/N)? Slight set back. We need to clean the kitchen...and go to the store...again." He looked sheepish and guilty but I pulled him into a hug.

"No problem. That was fun," I said, pecking Kian on the cheek.

——————
(A/N)- So I may or may not currently be writing a Harrison Webb story with actual chapters and I'm so stoked about it! I'm trying to get a lot of chapters done before I publish the first part but I'm having a lot of fun with it! I'll obviously still be writing this book because I love writing short stories but I decided to work on a new project as well!