prove him wrong || k. lawley (request)

thanks for the request! <33
                                ————————
"I still think this a bad idea," Kian whispered to me, biting his nail nervously as we waited for the other girls to arrive. I shook my head but that seemed to make him all the more upset. "Chantel, you freak out in elevators, and you are in those for maybe a minute tops."

"I'm afraid of falling to my death which is a valid fear!" The tight space part was also terrifying but I left that part out so Kian would think he was wrong. If I was being completely honest, I felt left out that Jc asked his girlfriend to be part of the video and Kian didn't ask me. I knew he was just looking out for me but I didn't want to seem like a baby. "I'll be fine. If I start to not feel okay, I'll get out."

Jc, who was setting up some lawn chairs outside of the box, laughed. "You are one of the most competitive people I know! You will want to stay in there until you win," he pointed out and I shrugged although I knew he was right; I wasn't a quitter

I stepped in for a second just to see what it would feel like but my heart went into double time when I heard Jc turn the drill on. I frantically turned and ran out of the open box, straight into Kian. He uncrossed his arms with an 'I told you so' look on his face. "That was mean," I said, trying to keep the tremor out of my voice.

"See you already started panicking. You have to remember that there is going to be about seven other people in there with you." He squeezed me tightly and I took a deep breath, assuring him that I would be fine.

The girls beginning to arrive alleviated my fear and I felt the tension melt away, but after everyone was in the box and it was completely shut, I could feel the familiar feeling of panic start to surge through me. Kristen, who had chosen the spot beside me, noticed my growing panic leaned down to keep our conversation more private.

"Hey, are you okay?" I just nodded but she could tell that I really wasn't, reaching down to give my hand a reassuring squeeze. "I'm freaking out too, but we're fine, right? It's not like we're trapped in here forever, so we'll be alright." She smiled at me and I took a few deep breaths to calm myself down to the point where I could start talking.

"Thanks," I whispered and she smiled. "Kian thinks I can't do this so having to tap out now would be proving him right."

"Then prove him wrong," she said and I nodded, giggling with her.

After the first fifteen minutes passed, I began to feel ten times better, talking and laughing with all the girls. We got through the first and second challenges without a hitch, and thankfully Mariah and Nezza didn't pick me for either of them.

All the girls were turning out to be tough competition, but being in the box for a few hours was empowering me to think that I could last as long as any of them. That was until the boys began taping up our breathing holes.

"Wait, is that even safe?" My voice was barely above a whisper and Kian could see the panic beginning to rise as he gave me a smile. Jc explained that there were holes for us to breath other places and that we would be perfectly safe.

My legs felt like jelly as I leaned heavily on the side of the box, Franny grabbing my elbow to steady me. "Hey, are you okay? You're shaking."

"I don't want to be a wimp," I whispered and Gabby immediately sprang into action.

"It's okay, there's no way I'm going to win. Just relax, I have a plan," she said, an evil smile on her face. Before we could question anything, she dropped to the ground and mass panic ensued. The boys quickly unscrewed the door and we all helped her sit up, Bobby grabbing her a bottle of water.

She was quiet for a minute before she jumped up, a wide smile on her face. "You're welcome! Enjoy the air," she said, taking a bow and the boys were confused before realizing that the whole thing was fake. Having the door open was nice while it lasted but Jc quickly screwed it shut again.

"You need to watch Chantel," she whispered to Kian when I wasn't paying attention. "I feel like she doesn't know her limits and she'll stay in there no matter what." Kian nodded and headed over to me, asking if I felt okay. I nodded with a smile and was grateful that the steam inside the box distorted me so he couldn't tell that it was fake.

They announced the next challenge would be another sweatshirt one and I guessed first. Kian's face fell when he heard my number and he put the paper up to reveal that I would be the one with the sweatshirt. I tried to be a good sport, smiling and accepting the two sweatshirts through the small crack Jc made. Franny offered to do it with me and I thought maybe everything would be okay.

As soon as I put it on, I could feel my breathing pick up. Having the fabric so close against my skin made the box feel even smaller and the more I tried to calm myself down, the faster I could feel my head spinning. Before I could catch myself, I felt my body hit the ground and Franny caught me before my head could fall.

"Kian, open the box!" Nezza sounded scared which did nothing for my current panicked state and she tried to sooth me. "It's okay, everything's going to be okay."

I felt Kian's arm wrap around me and I clung onto him for dear life, burying my head into his neck. "Just breath, baby," he soothed as he sat down, cradling me in his lap. "Let's get this sweatshirt off, yeah?"

After a few more minutes of his calming words my breathing was back to normal and I could stand up without feeling like I was going to pass out. I walked back over to where everyone was to a round of applause.

I giggled and curtsied, making everyone else laugh. "Well, I really wanted to prove Kian wrong but that's okay," I said.

He slung his arm around my neck and kissed my forehead. "You're always a winner in my book. And please don't pass out again, it's really scary." I agreed and spent the rest of the night cheering for the rest of the girls.