overprotective || c. collins (request - @Sarah_Fraser250239)

thank you so much for requesting!!

                                 ----------------

"Get a room," Jonah groaned from his spot beside Daniel and me on the couch. Daniel pouted and kicked him a little harder than was necessary, earning a groan from him. "God, I'm just kidding!"

"You better not let your brother see you all cuddled up on him like that," Jack teased, and my cheeks flushed at the thought of Crawford seeing me sitting on his best friend's lap. "Speaking of, are you going to hide this from him forever or are you going to fess up?"

"I'm not hiding it from him!" Jack raised his eyebrows at me, and I shrugged. "I'm just not telling him."

"Kind of the same thing," Jonah said, bracing himself for another assault from Daniel, but he nodded and slid me off of his lap.

"We do need to tell him," Daniel sighed, and I pouted both from being kicked off his lap and at the thought of telling my already overprotective brother that I had a boyfriend, and a famous one at that. "What about tonight? I can come inside when I take you home and we can talk to him together."

"You see the thing is he thinks I'm with Franny and Nezza right now," I said, picking at my fingernails to avoid the look of disappointment I was sure to receive. "He obviously wouldn't let me come here by myself!"

"So what does he think you're doing with them?" Daniel was rubbing the side of his face which was something he did when he was stressed. I hated that I was why he was stressed.

"Helping them film a video. They'll vouch for me, I kinda told Fran about us," I said, dropping my voice to a whisper on the last part. He looked alarmed and I tried to smooth it over. "It just slipped out! But don't worry, she won't tell anyone!"

"You have to tell him. Tonight," he said, exasperated. I nodded my head in agreement but dreaded getting home.

After Daniel dropped me off with instructions to tell Crawford "or else", I took a deep breath and walked inside to find him on the couch, his phone held up close to his face. "You're back late."

I cleared my throat nervously and sat down beside him. "Yeah, sorry. They were a little behind schedule." I leaned my head on his shoulder and squinted at the blurry photo he was looking at. "What is that?"

"Paparazzi picture of Daniel and some girl. He didn't tell me he was talking to anyone," he said, sounding surprised. I prayed that Crawford didn't pay too close attention to me to realize that was the outfit I wore to have "dinner with Franny" last week.

"Maybe she's just a friend?"

He laughed and zoomed in to Daniel's hand in the back pocket of my jeans. "Definitely not." I gulped and hoped he didn't notice my discomfort. He looked at me for the first time since I came in and pinched the fabric of the sweatshirt Daniel had made me put on before we left. I cursed myself for forgetting to take it off. "Why are you wearing this?"

"I got cold at Franny's and she said someone left it there last week. She said it was Oscar's or maybe Jc's, she couldn't remember." It was frightening how quick I could come up with lies sometimes.

"It's Daniel's," he said and I gave a disinterested nod.

Deciding to see how he would react, I brought the fabric up to my nose and smiled. "He smells good," I commented and Crawford narrowed his eyes at me.

"Yeah well enjoy the smell of the sweatshirt because that's the closest you'll ever get to smelling him."

"Why is that?" Crawford tried to ignore the question but I grabbed his attention by the next one. "You wouldn't let me date him?"

"Absolutely not! You aren't dating one of my best friends!" I pouted and he rolled his eyes. "Seriously (Y/N), he's in a boyband being crushed on by millions of girls all over the world. You really want to be involved in that?" His tone was softer and I shrugged.

"I guess not." He ruffled my hair and said goodnight, closing his bedroom door behind him. "A little too late now," I mumbled to myself. I pulled out my phone to text Daniel and hoped he wouldn't be too mad at me.

tonight wasn't a good time to talk, maybe tomorrow morning. don't be mad! xx
————————
I yawned and stretched the next morning, checking my phone to see if Daniel had replied. No reply probably meant he was irritated, and I pouted at the thought of him being mad at me.

I heard voices in the living room and checked my reflection quickly to make sure I was presentable, walking out to be met with Daniel sitting on the couch. He looked me up and down, his eyes widening at what I was wearing.

"Will you please take that sweatshirt off? You're being creepy now," Crawford grumbled, sitting down on the couch beside Daniel. "At least now you can give it back to him."

"Uh, yeah," I said, looking at him panicked before turning to go back into my room.

"Actually," Daniel said, his eyes closed as he got up the courage to continue. "I gave that to her to wear. I don't know what she told you to explain where she got it, but she was at my house last night and I didn't want her to be cold when she left, so I gave her my sweatshirt."

Crawford glanced between me and Daniel, shock on his face. "She was at Fran's house last night."

Daniel tried to laugh, but it sounded forced because he was getting a stare down from Crawford. "Nope, she lied. She was at my house."

Crawford looked to me, his face stony and I was mentally punching Daniel for starting this before I even had a chance to wake up. "Surprise," I laughed nervously and gave Crawford my best smile.

"How long has this been going on?"

I gulped and looked to Daniel for assistance. "A month, maybe?" Crawford's eyes widened in disbelief and Daniel winced. "I've been begging her to tell you! Please don't be mad, dude."

His jaw was set as he glanced back to me and he let out a puff of air. "Okay, so this is happening." I perched on the edge of the couch and wrapped my arms around his neck in an attempt to soothe his anger. "I have some ground rules to set."

"Crawford," I groaned. He gave me a warning look, so I shut up and let him continue.

"Break her heart, I'll break every part if your body." Daniel laughed but stopped as soon as he saw Crawford's face. "And never grab her butt like that again, especially in front of paparazzi." He frowned and Crawford showed him the picture from the week prior.

"Oh," he gulped, and Crawford laughed at his discomfort.

"Yeah, oh." He looked between both of us and finally gave a genuine smile. "Just don't get in a fight and make me hate either of you, okay?"

"We won't Crawf," I said, and he squeezed my shoulder. "Sorry I didn't tell you. I just didn't want you to be mad and tell me that I couldn't date him."

"It's okay. To pay me back, you can go make me coffee?" I smiled and stood, turning the corner to the kitchen but stopping short when I heard the boys murmuring.

"She's been so happy lately and I couldn't figure out why. I guess now I know."

"I promise she's safe, Crawford. I won't hurt her, I love her."

I bit my lip and smiled. Today was shaping up to be a pretty great day.