picnic || a. webb (request - @nnatalina_x)

thanks for requesting! <3
———————————
"Come on, we have to do something for Valentine's Day! It would be weird if we didn't," Anderson said. He was giving me the most intense puppy eyes over the FaceTime call and I had to look away or else I would give in to him.

"And what do you suppose we can do when you are on the other side of the world? A virtual date?" He gave an enthusiastic nod and I gave an equally enthusiastic shake of my head, making him pout more. "Where are we going to go on our date then?"

He gave me a smile that made me think he had already planned something very elaborate in his head. "So stay with me and don't tell me it's stupid until the end." I decided to appease him and nodded, zipping my lips shut. "You know that park you took me to when we first met?"

"With the duck pond?" He nodded and I smiled at the memory. That had felt like so much longer ago, but at the same time it felt like just yesterday. "How could I forget the place that you antagonized the swan so much that it bit your ankle?"

His face flushed as he began defending himself. "I just wanted to tell her how pretty she was. I didn't think it would make her so mad! Anyway, I thought I could go outside somewhere nice and you could go there and it would kind of be like we're together?"

It was a really cute idea, but the thought of pretending like he was here made me want to cry. We tried so hard to plan for him to fly back to America for the week of Valentine's Day so we could spend it together. I had never had anyone on Valentine's Day and I thought this would finally be my year.

I sniffled slightly and hoped he didn't notice. "It won't be the same."

"I know baby but I don't want you to be alone and I really don't want to be alone. But we can bring our own little picnics and just talk, nothing fancy." He was smiling so hopefully that I felt like the biggest jerk in the world if I said no.

"People are going to give us funny looks," I said, which Anderson just laughed at. "Yeah, that's easy for you to laugh at but you'll probably just go in your backyard where no will see you. I have to go to a very big, very public park."

He shook his head at my dramatics and smiled. "But it'll be a very nice date and will be worth it. I promise."

When Valentine's Day was finally here I decided to just take snacks rather than make food. Maybe if Anderson were actually here I would try harder but he wouldn't have to know what I was eating today. Franny had invited herself over to help me "get ready" for a virtual date, which I didn't really understand.

After my first three outfits getting rejected, she finally pulled out her own choice and shoved it into my hands. "Now that is an outfit. He'll love it," she said with a satisfied smile.

It was a light pink dress that I barely remembered I had and I did a twirl for her when I was done. "He is barely going to be able to see me but whatever makes you happy."

It took her another good twenty minutes to stop fussing with my hair and I finally escaped out the door, calling him on my walk. He didn't pick up, sending me straight to voicemail instead and forcing me to have a lonely walk.

I stoped at a bench and sat, swinging my feet and waiting for Anderson to call me. He waited until the time of our date exactly and I rolled my eyes as I answered. "Now what was that for?"

"You made me walk alone!"

"Happy Valentine's Day to you to," he replied. I propped the phone up against my bag on the bench snd he squinted with a frown. "Where are you?"

I glanced around at the trees and benches in the background, thinking that it should be pretty obvious. "The park?"

"But you're not in our spot," he said, continuing to frown at me.

"That's on the whole other side from where I am," I explained, thinking he would just nod but he gave me an expectant look. "Oh, you actually want me to go there?"

He nodded as if I should've known that. "We talked about that the other day when we were planning everything."

I groaned and began lugging everything across the park. It was chilly enough for me to wish I had brought a jacket along, even if Franny told me it ruined the outfit. "So where are you?"

"In a park near my house. It's actually pretty nice and kind of looks like our park."

"Oh yeah?" He was panning his camera around the area and I nodded. "Yeah that really does look like our park. Now when you miss me you can just go there."

"Not really," he replied, and ended the call. I frowned in confusion until I looked up to see him sitting on our bench in front of the pond, his hands in his pockets and looking extremely proud of himself.

I dropped my bag and ran to him at full speed, not caring if he caught me or not when I launched myself at him. He laughed and hugged me closely, kissing my neck before putting me down. "Surprised?"

"Uh, yeah! No wonder Franny wanted me to look cute today," I said, wiping some happy tears from my face.

"You look cute, but also very cold," he said, taking his jacket off and slinging it over my shoulders. "Now since I know you didn't bring actual food, I have a whole meal made for us."

"You know me so well," I said, holding tightly onto his arm as we walked back over to our bench. "Have you seen your swan?"

He pointed to a swan that looked particularly perturbed by us being near her. "Yeah, and I think she remembers me and she wants me gone ASAP."

"Well too bad for her. You're mine until you have to go back home." He opened his mouth to tell me when but I stopped him. "I don't want to know, I just want to enjoy you being here with me."