chapter 23

CHAPTER 23

S o n g A r e u m

    Areum went back to the hotel right after she took the flash drive from Dacre

Areum went back to the hotel right after she took the flash drive from Dacre. She had said a proper goodbye to Jana but never to Dacre, she still didn't trust him then. As soon as she reached her hotel room, she threw all the paper bags full of souvenirs and shirts across her bed and cleared all the mess on her desk without a care whatever was on it. All she needed was her laptop and the flash drive she had on her hand.

It was hours and hours of crying before her body declined and she decided to gather her thoughts after watching the last video of her bestfriend. She cried like there was no tomorrow, as if it was the last time she'd shed tears for Luke—perhaps because it was. Luke only appeared in her memories now. Yet there he was on her laptop screen too. He wore his gray shirt that Jana loved because it hugged tight on his muscular physique. Areum never really paid too much attention to what he looked like, though she was aware how dreamy, attractive, kind, smart and generous he was.

She realized how alone he must have felt in his remaining days. He could have told her and Jana about Clyde's threats, then he didn't have to carry all that burden for two years all on his own. They could have found another way to get him out of his brother's plan. The three of them always find a way to fix each other's mess. He could have trusted her and Jana like how they always trusted him.

Luke was smiling on the screen as it was paused at the end. How could he smile as he filmed it? The answer was simple. He was Luke. He always found something to smile about.

Areum almost finished the tissue box in her hotel room, her eyes and nose swollen and dry, it hurt to touch yet she kept the soft tissue close to her philtrum. Her eyes scan through the pictures of Luke and Dacre and how they looked so different yet so similar. Luke was tall, muscular and had blonde hair. Dacre was a few inches smaller, had light brown hair and light stubble. They both have blue eyes, only Dacre's real eyes was a bit more gray.

She felt a huge guilt growing in her cold heart. Dacre was the only person that had Luke's back when he needed a friend the most. Dacre was with Luke until the end and Areum had no idea about it. She treated him badly, accused him of offensive names instead of thanking him for being with Luke on his last days when Jana and Areum weren't there for him. Now that she thought about it, at least Luke had Dacre.