chapter 42

CHAPTER 42

Jana Dejaeger

Family doesn't require the same DNA to be considered as one—it was something stronger than friendship but different from soulmates

It's when everything turned to darkness—when everything turned to dust, the ones who stayed and didn't recoil was what family meant.

Blood made one a relative while love made one part of a family. When Jana got kicked out of her house, she was left with only two people in her life. Areum and Luke.

It was a puzzle, impossible to solve how those two stayed when she didn't have anything left. No family, no stable job, barely had enough money to survive for a week and no desire to get a College degree.

All she had was her passion and a camera to reach her dream.

When everyone told her she won't make it, her two best friends proved otherwise. If it wasn't for Luke's patience and generous character, she would have gone completely rogue. If Areum was too nice and warm, Jana would not have forced herself to do better.

In a way, the three of them fend from one another—like family, perhaps even better than that.

During the first year since Jana left home and her journey to the spotlight almost hit rock bottom, Areum and Luke covered all the bills and monthly payments of their apartment without complaints—none of them asked her to move out or get a reality check and find a better and stable job instead, they took her in without any hesitation and judgements.

Her family kicked her out, but her two best friends who she often took for granted were the ones who provided shelter for her.

The year after, Jana got an offer from a big makeup brand and a well-known clothing line.

Months later, her views and influence on social media racked up over night.

Years later, she was working on a project after being casted as one of the main characters of a Hollywood TV Series.

She was finally getting a hold of her dreams, little by little until one of her treasures passed away while the other was stuck in the past.

The whole Elijah Davis-thing started from her.

Elijah Davis was a music producer that Jana worked with during the early years of her career.

The man liked—adored the song composition which Jana submitted to the agency—his agency, only it wasn't her who wrote and made it. Elijah had become obsessed with her work.

Jana stole it from one of the boxes Areum was going to throw away while rummaging through her stuff to donate for their charity.

She planned to submit only one song but Elijah kept asking for more, and that's when things got seriously disturbing.