chapter 74

CHAPTER 74

Jeon Jungkook

"You're still there?" Namjoon asked calmly yet a bit surprised on the other line of the phone call

Jungkook forced a grin as he stood up from the uncomfortable bench at the Hospital Lobby, it was already dark out.

He may have dozed off once or twice already and if it wasn't for Namjoon calling to check up on him, he'd probably end up sleeping as he sat down in the waiting area.

"Hyung, mianhaeyo. I'll catch up on work tomorrow," Jungkook spoke apologetically as he stared into the dark skies and the excessive rain outside.

Rain was Areum's favorite weather. He wasn't planning to drive home without Areum because it had been raining hard all day and she might need a ride to her place.

Jungkook remembered she didn't like driving at night especially when it was raining. Not only does she get anxious from her poor eyesight in the dark but she also just loved watching the rain through the windows while the car moved. She said it felt like she was breathing in her own world.

The sole reason why Jungkook never left though, was that he was worried one of her colleagues might pick on her again or call her names she didn't deserve to hear.

If she hadn't changed, he would be less worried. She could always defend herself well before. Recently though, something was oddly different with her.

Areum was not going to defend herself, that was when the protective side of Jungkook resurfaced. He was so caught off guard and confused why she would suddenly let anyone talk to her like that, as if she was a push-over which she wasn't.

"Don't worry about it. We're not supposed to be working for three more days anyway." Namjoon reassured him, pulling him back from his deep thoughts. "Didn't you leave early this morning? It's already 12 am. Haven't you seen Areum yet? Do you want me to call her?"

He suddenly looked down, his smile turned into a painful and hopeless one. Yes, he'd seen her.

Jungkook also saw how she wriggled quickly out of his grasp and walked away with someone else. She had told him to go home before deciding to walk way with that doctor again.

How was he supposed to go home? He hasn't even talked to her yet—at least not long enough to give him the chance to make it up to her or the years they've missed being without each other.

There was something about the way she walked away with that man, it was like all of a sudden, she was completely a different person. The Areum he once knew was far gone the moment she stepped beside the man with eyeglasses, which Jungkook assumed the infamous Lee Seung Jae that the nurses and patients he encountered were talking about.