chapter 41

CHAPTER 41

Song Areum

Tomorrow, Areum would fly back to Los Angeles, California—the labyrinth she escaped

Tomorrow, Areum would fly back to Los Angeles, California—the labyrinth she escaped. She'd be leaving behind the people she had grown to love, people who have grown to engulf her with both the good and bad phases in her life. She hated to depart so suddenly, but life never gave her enough choices to choose from. How could she choose between Luke and her future?

Yesterday, when they landed in New York and after Jungkook dropped her off with the staff as she settled inside the transport from the airport to the hotel, she got a missed call and a text from Jana—not to mention the 25 missed calls were from Mrs. Bellford, Luke's mother.

His parents cut off all connections they had with both Areum and Jana after Luke's passing and so there was an instant baffling thought that went through her head upon seeing Luke's mother attempts to call her.

That same day, as soon as she got inside her hotel room, she called Mrs. Bellford, apologized for missing her calls. The woman's voice was relieved and hopeful once she heard Areum's voice. Their conversation didn't take long, Mrs. Bellford quickly informed her about Elijah Davis finally being in custody but quickly proceeded to demand for her to come back as per Elijah's request in return of his statement about all the dirty informations he had about Clyde Bellford.

Dacre and his sister—who happened to be a lawyer, had finally came forward to the police with the evidence they gathered along with Luke when he was still alive.

It was about time they do that, Areum thought to herself sarcastically. Wouldn't they get charged for withholding relevant information about the case too? Maybe not. They could just lie about it completely or use Mr. Bellford's power and connections to keep them unharmed. After all, it was all Luke's plan—plain and stupid. . . but he'd always been sentimental, like he was leaving in a movie and he had to always be the good guy.

Areum wondered if Luke wasn't half as good as he was, would he still be alive? She wished he was.

The authorities weren't considering to involve Areum back in the case, especially when it will only feed and satisfy Elijah's desire to get his way with everything again. But Mrs. Bellford didn't care about Areum nor her mental health and trauma, she was not her daughter after all. She lost her only child in the hands of a psychopath and Clyde, her stepson.

In the end, Areum made the decision to go back and packed all her belongings neatly again before she went out and said her goodbyes to her friends.

Last night, when Namjoon left her to face Jungkook, she was expecting him to be as flustered and confused as Namjoon, bombard her with questions or even get mad at her for being unreasonable but instead he lacked warmth as he walked past her.