chapter 76

CHAPTER 76

Jeon Jungkook

Tonight, he'll drive her home, he kept convincing himself

Tonight, he'll drive her home, he kept convincing himself. It's only been a day since he last saw Areum but he missed her so terribly it made his chest tight. He hadn't seen her all day, the nurses informed him she was busy. . . he wondered if that was just her excuse to avoid him.

He met the kid Areum had befriended through the years, oddly enough it was who he spent the rest of the day with until the kid had to go home as he had work the next day. Da Reum weirdly reflected Areum—their names almost even sound the same.

The kid reminded Jungkook of Areum from five years ago, Da Reum was the young version of her except the kid was more cheerful and less passive. No one had ever gotten a glimpse of Areum being childish and cheerful. . . unless if she was with Jungkook, it's when she's the most happy—or at least used to.

Jungkook disliked Da Reum at first. It was the kid who was there for her when he wasn't, and perhaps that made him inferior of Da Reum, the fact Areum doesn't get along with people easily but had grown closer to someone else when he wasn't around was enough reason to feel somewhat threatened. Pathetic, isn't it?

He knew he had to treat the kid well and push aside all his immaturity to be a better person on her side.

Besides, Da Reum was pretty smart and easy to get along with. The kid even bought his own portable gaming console and took Jungkook to the Hospital's tech-room so they could play a video game in peace as they waited for Areum.

Turned out, the kid also participated in the project Areum was involved in so he had access to the Hospital's Technology area. He was exceptional in computers—the only man Jungkook met who could actually beat him in video games hours straight, not to mention Da Reum was a lot younger than him or maybe Jungkook had just been outdated when it comes to video games.

Jungkook liked to think it was because he had spent two years without playing, so he was still a little bit rusty when it comes to new games in the market these days.

Da Reum then took him to the Hospital's library where he said Areum spent most of the time on her days off work. He said she felt bad having to study all the time and broke the promise she had to spend time with her parents, sometimes she wished she could tear her body in half—one in the hospital helping people and the other at home, cooking dinner, reading with her mother or playing a song on the piano to her father.

Da Reum said she only lived for others the past years and it cost her own happiness. It was true. Areum tends to prioritize her loved ones before herself without any idea she was doing it.

The Hospital lobby felt colder, perhaps it would rain again. It had been three nights straight since Jungkook made friends with the night sky in the lobby view.