chapter 5

CHAPTER 5

J e o n   J u n g k o o k

    Jungkook shifted on the bed, stole glances on the couch where Hoseok and Namjoon kept Areum occupied

    Jungkook shifted on the bed, stole glances on the couch where Hoseok and Namjoon kept Areum occupied. The three of them laughed about something that Hoseok said. She looked like she was enjoying herself, she smiled the same way a kid would if it rained candies and chips from the skies, her face looked tired but her eyes were calm and welcoming.

Jin said an English word that didn't sound right as they played an English word game. Areum turned her head in their direction, she met Jungkook's eyes at once. He didn't mean to stare and pay more than enough attention to Areum, he just happened to look her way but oddly enough, he couldn't bring himself to look away. And so, Areum smiled at him, her eyes pivoting unintentionally to his, he could tell she didn't mean to stare right back at him by the look of mild shock on her face and how her smooth cheeks flushed a pink shade. She cleared her throat and laughed on Jin's laughter to hide her blushed cheeks. Jungkook couldn't help the smirk that formed his lips, and so he laughed too, in an attempt to hide the heat radiating all over his body.

    An hour had passed and Jin was still laughing in his whole existence, constantly hugging his stomach and coughing from laughing so hard, evidently entertaining himself. Areum got up from her seat once to watch Taehyung play the Nintendo Switch he was obsessed with. Taehyung even taught her for a few minutes before she finally came back to her seat in between Hoseok and Namjoon before she glanced at Jimin who clapped his hands and collapsed on the bed from laughter due to Jin's witty jokes.

Jungkook watched them closely, his mouth slightly agape as he laughed so hard without a sound coming from his throat. He glanced up, and noticed Areum stood up from the couch, fixing her purse. Namjoon stood up after her, eager to send her away. Her soft voice sounded like a remedy, she said goodbye to Hoseok as he gave her an awkward hug. Are side hugs a thing in America—she looked really good giving side hugs, he thought to himself before turning his side away from Areum, though he could watched her in his peripheral view. He pretended to engage with the two older members as he saw her cushioned her left arm with her right hand for a second, as if she was in pain. She then bowed her head to Taehyung. Oddly enough, Jungkook felt impatient, almost wanting to get her attention already. He noticed Namjoon beside her, and he looked even more eager to send her out of the room. What the hell is wrong with him?

    Areum finally turned to them, she lowered her head and apologized for the burden she caused. Part of him wanted her to stay longer, but who does he think he is to make such a suggestion. He barely even spoke to her. Jungkook wanted to take Hoseok's place beside her and ask her questions too that would make her laugh, or questions he wanted to know about her. She wanted her to ask him questions too as much as she seemed interested about Hoseok and Jin, but he couldn't bring himself to do just that. He just met her, being smitten over a stranger was absurd. And yet, he was constantly stealing glances in her direction, once he started observing her and how she relaxed her back on the headrest of the couch as she crossed her legs, he couldn't stop but watch her longer. And though he was laughing along with Jin and Jimin, he was mostly smiling when she casually laughed at Jin and Jimin or even Hoseok. She's entertained easily.