chapter 6

CHAPTER 6

S o n g A r e u m

    The smell of blood and sweat

The smell of blood and sweat. . . . All that was left on the cold ground was the blood that had once flowed thick in his veins. And the musk scent he always wore had been replaced with the strong rust scent of blood that matted the floor which Areum got up from. She tried opening her mouth but no words came out. She realized it wasn't just a simple nightmare she was having. It was much more than night terrors which she kept coming back to when she closed her eyes. Sometimes, she could hold him—be there on time to save him. She'd embrace him tight and he'd hold her tighter, nights like that was a dream that rarely came.

There's no amount of sleeping pills and medication could ever get rid of the pain and torment she was feeling. It was like a long labyrinth which had no way out. It was dark, cold and empty. She had cried more than a person should ever do in their lifetime, yet she couldn't seem to move forward. She shivered in her sleep as she realized the worst part of the torment has yet to come in her head. . . There, Elijah Davis stood, a few inches from her face. The gun he had used to murder Luke Bellford was in his hands as his eyes bore into her eyes. His face indicated pleasure and accomplishment, his lips twitched into a smug grin. His long dirty blonde hair partially damp with sweat and he didn't look well. Areum stood in front of him, her eyes dauntless as she clenched her fist in a failed attempt to move her body. Elijah Davis grinned wider. No matter which path she took, she could never reach him. Even in her dreams, she couldn't catch him. She was unable to hurt him. She was helpless and it was worse than dying itself.

"Areum. . ." she was awoken by a soft voice beside her.

It was a nightmare she could wake up easily but never escape from. No matter what she did, she kept coming back to that torment in her head.

"I had a nightmare, sorry." she spoke quietly before her voice broke, she could feel Jana shifting next to her. Jana had been spending more time on her side since they both opened up almost a month ago.

It was another excuse to ignore the fact that they were both terrified to be alone. And everything just wasn't going to feel as safe as it was months ago—at least that was what it's like for Areum.

"It's okay . . . I get them too." Jana said, her voice half asleep on her side.

When Areum took a day out of the house three day ago, Jana also decided to go back to work, having a lot to catch up on. She had been going to meetings, contract signings and hosting gigs for the past days. Areum was glad Jana was at least finally getting her life back on track. She was lucky enough to have a life which had been waiting for her to get back on.

On the other hand, Areum didn't have that luxury. Her life before the chaos was college and Luke. And then books. And charities she founded with Luke and his parents. But right now, his parents couldn't even look at her, let alone bother to acknowledge her shares in the charities she's a part of. Truth was, her life was filled with Luke Bellford that everything reminded her of him. Life after Luke was . . . an empty page.