chapter 59

CHAPTER 59

Song Areum

Areum let the kid finish the two sandwiches he bought from Subway

Areum let the kid finish the two sandwiches he bought from Subway. It was the first time she let someone steal her food after stalking her and let them get away.

She was supposed to go to the aesthetician's clinic in the afternoon with her mother but she was at the mall instead, shopping for a kid who knew too much about her but barely an adult to be doing things he'd been doing for a long time.

The kid walked a few inches ahead of her, carrying two bags of clothes from one of the brands BTS had been promoting.

He looked around the mall with wide and twinkling eyes, as if he hadn't been into one in his whole life, perhaps he hasn't or maybe he has. Who knows—Areum wasn't in the mood to ask but for some reason she couldn't let the kid go.

Who in their right mind would let a mishandled kid went back to an abusive environment? No one—maybe her. But she also can't just take him home with her. It's not like she lived alone. She has a family she had to protect.

"Noona, do you happen to like Ice Cream?" the kid asked as he pointed towards the small Ice cream shop in front of them.

She motioned for him to get in and he did. Bouncing like a ball of sunshine as he went towards the counter to order.

Areum gave him the change he had from Subway and he used that to buy a cone of Ice cream. She waited outside the store, looking around the mall as if she wasn't worried if the boy escaped or not. He won't.

He had nowhere else to go but with her.

She never went in public places alone for years. Jana would have people wanting to take pictures with her while Areum would be the one taking it for her fans. When Luke was still alive, almost every citizen that knew his father would ask about their family or thank him for something his family did good, with that, she'd always be forced to talk with people.

It was nice to quietly stand around public places without getting too much anxiety from people hovering.

He came back with two small cones of mixed flavored Ice cream, he had almost finished his cone as he handed Areum hers. She nodded once and let the kid take hers again.

"Don't you ever eat?" he asked while alternately eating Strawberry and Mint Chocolate Ice Cream cones.

"Shouldn't I be the one asking that?" she asked him with sarcasm, crossing her arms over her chest as a habit.

The kid nodded, enjoying his ice cream and completely oblivious of her sardonic comments here and there. "Why are you so nice to me all of a sudden?"

Areum took in the joy in his eyes as he relished the frozen sweets in his mouth.

"Because, now you're going to tell me why you were following me and who you're working for." she told him with a straight face.