chapter 44

CHAPTER 44

Dacre Mills

The Detention Centre on the outskirts of town where Elijah had been detained was guarded on both the outside and every corner of the vicinity

Police officers wore their dark black and tight uniforms with badges, guns and batons. Some had tired and blunt faces, the kind where people would be intimidated to talk to or even look at.

They all matched the gray paint on the visitation room where the Governor, Kristy Bellford, Jana, Areum and Dacre were waiting. The room smelled like heavy rusty metal and sweat and it wasn't quiet in the room, the sound of detainees rumbling and chains clanking together sent triggering memories in Dacre's mind.

He studied Criminology before he lost his sight, his visited a lot of jail institutions during his thesis which weren't all a peaceful experience. 

They were in the Director's office, waiting for the detectives to usher them into the interrogation room but every corner of the Detention Centre still smelled like a jail cell, the cops guarding the room looked like they were used to the smell, how could someone get use to this traumatizing smell, Dacre thought. Or perhaps it was just him who was hyper attentive to the smell, he never thought he'd step foot into that kind of place again since his accident.

Dacre and his sister, a prosecutor in Luke's case had submitted all the evidence against Luke's step brother, those of which were enough to hold in a cell but not permanently.

With everything that's happened, of course the Governor chose his youngest son over protecting the criminal one hence why he managed to convince the detectives to bring Areum in to get Elijah's statement instead of going through the due process of it all

Luke's family was so eager and desperate to put Clyde in jail that they ended up baiting someone to catch the bigger shark.

Jana had her hand intertwined with Areum, she looked more scared than her best friend who would face her attacker—the one who tried to kill her.

Then again, Areum rarely showed emotions. It's how she protected herself, according to Luke.

Kristy, despite crying and trembling once in a while, sat elegantly beside the Governor who had a rather soft expression of discomfort. He was nicer and more humane than Luke's mother.

Dacre noticed Luke got his warm character from his father. It was obvious that Jana and Areum were more fond of the Governor too, they greeted him politely earlier while they look appalled to see Kristy.

The police officer stood on the corner of the room, his eyes fixed across the wall as his gun hung idly on his hip.

He must be sweating in his crisp black uniform jacket—who wouldn't? It was scorching hot in Los Angeles and the air conditioning in the Director's office was barely useful.