chapter 26

CHAPTER 26

S o n g A r e u m

Midnight approached, dragging every ounce of seconds left of the night to day

Midnight approached, dragging every ounce of seconds left of the night to day. Areum came back early into her hotel room after the concert while the members and their families went to a private dinner which she politely skipped again, she thought tonight should be a night of privacy between the band and their families, it would be nice for them to catch up as much as they could before they leave the day after tomorrow.

She had finished her online lectures in advance, so she had been writing all night, putting on melody to her lyrics accordingly. Her brain worked fast in music, like an obsession she couldn't shake off. No matter how much she tried to slow down, she couldn't, perhaps that's what it does to someone who grew up reading and composing.

At first, she wrote and composed to impress her parents, then it became her safe haven until she found another thing to obsess over. Medicine. And then, back to writing again. She glanced up on the mirror in front of her desk, where her inspiration board was. There goes the warm and beautiful busy city of Sao Paulo. A picture of Jana in the middle of Leicester Square in London. Then at the bottom part of the mirror were photos of Jungkook, the one she took, the other he took himself with his hangul writing below the picture and the picture of them both in the restaurant back in Sao Paulo, Jungkook had written something on the space below the polaroid photo, 'new beginning, eternal loyalty and everlasting love'.

She smiled, recalling the first time she had read what he wrote and how he held her tight earlier after the concert. Areum bit the cap of her pen as she smiled, Jungkook's voice still echoeing in her ears and his breath on her neck still lingered.

She glanced at the clock in her hotel room. 11:59 pm. She should probably start reading for bed, not that she's going to get any sleep tonight.

Areum sat on her bed, picking up the thick hard covered book from her nightstand, it was a book she had bought downtown when she was with Jana. She lifted up her feet off the ground to get into her covers when a knock on her door distracted the excitement she had for reading, she stood up at once, moving her eyeglasses back up her almost non-existence nose bridge before walking to the door, forgetting to check who was behind it on the peephole.

The door swung open slowly as she meshed her lips together, her lip balm felt velvety on her lips before she took in the appearance of Jungkook in front of her. He stood innocently across her, his hair was flat and slightly damp from shower as he smiled at her, showing off both his upper and lower teeth. He wore a navy green oversized sweatshirt and his always way too many earrings were deducted by one pair of small hoops earrings each ear.

His eyes looked smaller and brighter without makeup and contact lenses. Jungkook looked fresh and well rested as he stood in front of her—it's her favorite look on him, so raw and so beautifully sculpted even without the fancy get ups. Areum felt her lips formed into a wide arch of smile as she checked him out from head to toe, unintentionally.