chapter 40

CHAPTER 40

Kim Namjoon

"You said what?" Namjoon mused

He felt lethargic, all emotions were drained from his body and all that's left was perplexity—inefficacy to save a friend. Then again, Areum was the most relentless and unpredictable person he had ever met. She does what she wants, takes what she needs and bail once things start to shift to something good.

Namjoon thought she got over her past, that she was determined to build a new future for her own good. He thought she was happy and had been healing well on tour. Things with Jungkook greatly helped her walk towards the right path.

"I have some things to do back there first," she smiled nervously. It was the only time Namjoon saw unsettling doubt on her face. "I'll be home just a little later than you guys."

Hoseok sat up from the couch while the rest of the members stared at her with complete bewilderment, none of them had words to comprehend the situation they were in. They all seemed to have forgotten the excitement they had from going home.

Even Namjoon lost his calm train of thoughts as soon as he heard Areum's unforeseen decision. Jungkook scooted away from her, his face held nothing but enmity towards her. He had his eyebrows pulled together which were slightly hidden by his hair. Areum couldn't bring herself to look up in Jungkook's direction, everyone knew—except Jungkook that he was her only weakness.

Namjoon, despite being utterly displeased at Areum, decided to make matters easier for her. He stood up from his seat, shove his phone in his pocket and kept her eyes locked on Areum.

"I'll walk you to your room." he muttered coldly.

Areum looked up at him, furrowing her eyebrows but instantly obeyed him without a fight. She stood up slowly, hugging her empty cup close to her chest with her two hands. She opened her mouth to speak, possibly to say good night to the members but Namjoon was quick to dismiss her as he took her arm and slightly dragged her towards the door and out of the suite, closing the door behind them before proceeding to walk farther from the room they walked out from.

They stopped near the emergency exit on the floor. Namjoon turned to her, placing one of his hands low on his waist while the other on his forehead, scratching it lightly as he tried to think straight.

"This isn't my room." she murmured.

He gave her a cold stare, letting her know it wasn't the right time to pull an attitude on him. She retreated quietly, fiddling on the empty plastic cup she was still holding like it was her comfort toy. Namjoon could already tell that she knew she was in the wrong that time and there was no way out of it.

They agreed to go home together. He even promised her parents that he'll take her home safely. Hell, he promised himself he won't turn his back on her like he did when they were younger. Namjoon knew back then that she was sad, lonely and in need of love—she can't be alone, deep down she knew it too and her way of dealing with it was to push people further away. Areum thinks it's lonelier to lose someone so she refused make any close relationship with anyone else instead.