chapter 45

CHAPTER 45

Song Areum

"I need a minute

"I need a minute." Areum stood up from her seat, taking her phone out as soon as Detective Morgan informed her that she had to walk in and meet Elijah at once.

She thought she was ready, it took her a whole night and morning to prepare herself to face the person who murdered her bestfriend.

All of a sudden, the night Luke died replayed in her head like it happened just last night. Her memories were clear and vivid.

Her fingers shook as she held her phone, tapping the call button on the screen before it rang and she finally gained the strength to place her phone on her ear.

She took her nails and nibble on it, her body was still trembling.

"Mmm, Areum-ssi." he hummed, as if he just woken up from a nap. "What's wrong? Are you okay?"

"Jungkook," her voice broke once she said his name.

A sound of a quick shuffling on the other line filled her ears, and she closed her eyes. She could see him sitting up abruptly from the flat bed he was laying down on in the private plane.

"What's wrong?" he asked again, clearing his throat.

His voice was full of concern, but somehow it was soothing to her soul.

"Did I wake you? Mianhae."

He was silent on the other end of the line, only his breathing and the muffled sound of the aircraft being in the air filled the static on the phone.

She pressed the phone tight on her ear, while the other squeezed her forearm to distract her piling up thoughts.

"Is it time?" he asked, referring to the meeting between Areum and Elijah.

She hummed shakily in response, squeezing her arm to hold back the tears that were forming inside her closed eyes.

"You'll hurt yourself if you keep biting your nails and squeezing your arm like that," he murmured calmly as if he was with her. Jungkook knew her too well, he didn't have to be there to know what she'd been doing to herself to cope. "Breathe, Areum. You'll be home soon."

A cloud of safety engulfed her soul, stroking the forming bruise on her arm all the way to the scar on her shoulder. She felt her fingers eased up and the phone loosened up from her ear. The numbness of her body was slowly and deliberately fading as she heed on her inner peace and Jungkook's calming voice.

"Areum-ah." he spoke once he noticed her even breaths. "I'm sorry, I wasn't there with you."

Areum slowly opened her eyes and almost lost her composure as soon as she heard guilt in his voice, she shouldn't have called him.