Chapter VI- The Foster Home

TW: Abuse, s*lf h*rm, and bullying. You've been forewarned, read at your leisure.

"Do you really want to walk me home?" I asked knowing he would answer with a lie.

He scratched the back of his head, "Of course I do." I knew it.

I didn't say anything as we walked, not for a long time anyway. I would just walk while looking up at the midnight blue sky with my arms held behind my head. It was really cool that Shuichi was walking me home and all, but what is he trying to get away from?

I didn't want to ask directly but I wanted to know at least something as to why he'd avoid it, "Hey Shumai, what's your family like? I know you have a detective as an uncle but that's it."

He had a dark expression on his face, "My parents died a long time ago. My uncle adopted me afterwards." He was cut and dry on the whole subject.

I couldn't help but think, at least someone wanted to take you in. I didn't say that aloud though, it would be waaay too insensitive. I may be insensitive sometimes but never about something as serious as this.

"Sorry," I mumbled. "Is that why you avoid your uncle?"

He stumbled back a bit, "I didn't think you noticed that."

"Of course I would notice if something was wrong with my beloved Shumai!" A blush crossed the tall detectives face.

"Well I guess that's part of why I avoid my uncle. But on the other hand, he's a sleezy detective." I made sure to pay attention to what he was saying, "He takes.. bribes and.. other things." I gasped. Shuichi shouted this next part obnoxiously loud, "I HATE THAT HE DOES THAT! HE DOESN'T CARE ABOUT JUSTICE WHATSOEVER! ONLY WHAT GETS FOOD ON THE TABLE!" A tear crept out of his eye. I moved closer to him and wiped it off his cheek with an understanding, hopefully, smile.

"From what I can tell, he does those things so his family, you, won't go hungry. He may be selfish for doing so, but if that's what's kept you alive Shuichi, I can't blame him. If he hadn't done those things, you could be dead and that just wouldn't do! You are just too important to me Shumai!" 

Tears were still pouring out from his eyes, "Thanks Kokichi." My hand was still on his face from wiping the tears away and he held it. I didn't want that moment to end. I wished it could last forever and I would never have to go back to my foster home again!

But all good things come to an end, like this did.

"We should go, your parents are probably getting worried about you," Shuichi broke the ever so comfortable silence. I nodded and we continued to walk towards the house. On the way, Shuichi pointed out constellations that Kaito had taught him about, he even fact checked it since Kaito is pretty much never completely correct. Including in his own field of study! What an idiot!

We reached the house in no time, and I didn't even have to knock before the door slammed open.

"Where were you? You were supposed to come home after getting out of the hospital!" She shrilled. I already knew whatever I could say wouldn't change anything, she was already pissed beyond reckoning. She grabbed me by the wrist then noticed Shuichi, if she touches him I'll- "Who are you exactly? A member of Kokichi's little group?" She spoke in a calm tone now, basically emotionless.

He was shaken up by what he just saw, I could tell. "Uh- my n-name's Shuichi Saihara. I-if you're referring to D-DICE, then no."

"Well thanks for walking him home, I suppose. I hope he didn't cause you any trouble-" Shuichi opened his mouth to say something but she finished first. "Good night Saihara," the ice cold women slammed the door in his face, dragging me in by the wrist. I didn't even get to say goodbye, I'd forgotten how cruel this women could get.