Chapter XXXIV- Opening Ceremony

(Kokichi POV)

"You're still going to lie about being my kid? You're right, this is going to fun!" The man commented. "So tell me something only my son would know."

"Why should I have to prove myself to you? From my knowledge you could be some random guy who saw me on TV and started claiming things out of nowhere."

The man's expression showed a hint of confusion. "TV? As far as I know, he's never been on television."

"I see, you haven't seen the 53rd game of Danganronpa."

"Kokichi stop-" Shuichi whispered.

"I'm guessing you barely know anything about me, well guessing is basically all you can do since you were never there. I was in a coma for three years you know?" I shouted with a grimace on my face. I was angry and frustrated with him but I could just laugh at how stupid and ignorant he was. "You didn't even care when my mom died from a heart attack." Shuichi backed off a bit after hearing that, I forgot I hadn't told him about that.

"I guess you are my son," my supposed father said as he looked at his phone.

"You don't even care to pay attention do you?"

"I was searching for drv3 Japanese game, and I guess it's true then."

"Funny how you didn't even know what your own son looked like, if I'm going to be honest, you piss me off."

He placed his phone back in his pant pocket. "I wouldn't think any less, but I have reasons." 

I was about to yell but Shuichi grabbed me by the arm to stop me, "At least give him a chance Kokichi."

"I'll give you a few minutes to explain, but if you can't, I'm leaving."

"Okay. When your mother died, I was living with a friend, I was staying with them until I would have enough money for my own place. I thought that you'd be better off with another family until I was stable." Stable huh, then why wait until now? "I was deemed as an unworthy guardian since I was also a drug addict at the time. When I had finally managed to get off of them and find a stable job and income, I was told you were with a good family that you'd adjusted well to. The one you'd been living with until recently.

"I didn't know I'd been lied to, but I'd been sending them money to give you ever since she died. You're right, I wasn't informed when you were in a coma or consulted when you were moving foster homes after your.. attempt.."

I heaved out, "You got your time, we're leaving."

"I know I wasn't a good parent to you but-"

"There is no 'but' about it, that money you were sending never got to me. Those foster parents were greedy pigs and you didn't dare reach out for SEVENTEEN years. Don't give a bull shit excuse for that, like I said. I'm leaving," I grab Shuichi's hand as we start to walk out of the park.

He shouted, "Hey- you're Shuichi right?" We turned to face him but stayed standing a distance away. Shuichi nodded. "I don't usually thank people for things, but thanks for getting Kokichi to the hospital after all that." Shuichi turned his head away as we made our way to the train station.

When we get there, we sit at one of the benches after purchasing the tickets.

Shuichi spoke up, "S-sorry I couldn't be more help."

"You did great Shuichi, I didn't really tell you what I was planning so I should be apologizing but I don't want to. So I won't," I playfully smirked at him. He seemed really concerned, I kind of did explode so I guess I understand. But I needed to snap him out of it. "Shuichi!" I shouted and he turned his head to me with the same gloomy look. I gave him a quick peck on the lips which I could tell he was not expecting as his face flushed immediately.

"Wh-what was that f-for?" He stumbled on his words.

I cheekily smiled at him, "Oh no reason!"

The train came up a few minutes later and we piled in.

The next few days passed with nothing really happening. I still hadn't told Shuichi about what happened at the meeting. I didn't want to think about it but I figured maybe I could make it up by finding a way to pull a grand prank at my new school. I wish it could've gone that way.

It was finally the day of our class' opening ceremony. According to what Shumai told me, all the other classes had theirs already. As they always say, save the best for last!

When we got there Shuichi was even more uneasy about the whole thing. He'd been having the same dream the past few days leading up to today. The reason he was more uneasy was there didn't seem to be any staff in the main office. I did my best to calm him down telling him that they're probably in the gym since it was just an opening ceremony. It didn't help him much, thinking on the fly, I held his hand. Maybe he'll think something cheesy like he's not alone in this. We'd also been asked to bring our clothes since we'd have time to put them in our dorm rooms.

We got to the gym where everyone else already was. It felt like deja vu, except we're not in a murder game this time. On the stage was the senior we'd met previously, Kokoro Matsui. There weren't any adults around which was odd I guess but I didn't really care.

There were a bunch of familiar faces, Angie, Kaito, Maki, Gonta, Keebo, Miu, Rantaro, and Kaede. There were five people I didn't know there as well. One was wearing a leotard, another was messing with a doll, one was in sports gear, and the last two were both discussing something on a screen.

"Mic test, mic test-" Kokoro cleared her throat. "Hello everyone! First I should introduce myself. I'm Kokoro Matsui, I played the role of Ultimate Seamstress during the 49th game. Nice to meet you all!" She bowed and waved towards everyone. "Down to business I guess. There were student handbooks at the entrance so grab one if you haven't yet, it has all the rules so take the time to read them." The 'handbooks' were in the form of phone-like machines but it only displayed a map and general rules as well as dress code.

"There's nothing else I really need to clarify, so get to know your classmates for the next few hours. Oh- and don't forget to put your stuff in your dorm rooms!" Hours? She didn't plan anything to say? How unprepared can you be?

Shuichi seemed to have calmed down since we came in. Out of nowhere, an arm wrapped around Shuichi's neck. I knew from the purple sleeve that it had to be Kaito.

"Um Kaito, you're choking him," I told him. 

He let go and apologized. "Sorry sidekick- I mean Shuichi, been a while hasn't it?"

"Hey Shuichi," Maki waved at him but was staring daggers at me.

"You're so mean Maki!" Kaito and Shuichi chuckled at it.

"Should we go put our stuff in our dorms?" Kaito suggested. 

All four of us agreed to. It didn't take long since all our rooms were on the same floor. It was a short trip and we then made our way back to the gym where everyone else still was. 

I skimmed through the handbook to see what rules there were and trying to find loopholes I could use to pull pranks and such. But the lights went out, I could still see since I was looking at the handbook until someone I didn't notice knocked it out of my hand and the battery fell out as I dropped it.

They placed something over my mouth. Shit- are they trying to knock me out? In that moment I held my breath and pretended to go limp. The person set me down. I knew I wouldn't last long especially if they were using choreiform. I took my phone out and sent one last text to the DICE group chat, 'I'm sorry'. As my vision faded and I actually went limp I dropped my phone.

Why do you always have to be right about things Shuichi? I wish I'd listened to you.

.........................................

A/N

Random thing I wanted to say. I have Danganronpa stickers and taking over everything! Literally, I have four on my laptop, two on my phone stand, one on my wallet, one on my school ID and plan to put on in my yearbook.

The one I plan to put in my yearbook will answer the question, how did I survive the year? IT'S MAAAGIC!

Anyway, have a good day/evening or whenever you're reading. Love y'all!

~silliesgirlz out