Chapter XXXXI- Kaito's Trial (Part 2/2)

Kokoro looked to be pondering something. "What about the Monokuma file?"

"Shall we take a looksee then?" I chimed. People took out their monopads and we reviewed the monokuma file.

Eiko pointed out, "Something's missing."

Keade smiled, "Let's go over what we do know first."

"Well the cause was a punctured lung," Rantaro started, "MIght have something to do with the chest gash."

"Well no duh brainiac!" Miu sputtered.

Aimi muttered, "But what would have done that?"

"Before we focus too much on that, Eiko you said something was missing. Do you know what is?" Shuichi inquired.

Eiko thought for a moment, "If I'm remembering right, the time of death is usually there."

"Righteo! Puhuhuhu!" Monokuma laughed.

"Alright, let's focus on that. Usually the missing piece is the most important!" Kokoro added.

Shuichi was deep in thought. "The last one to see him was Maki, he left for a walk at some time after the nighttime announcement. Did he ever come back?"

"No, the next I saw him was after the body discovery announcement played," Maki testified.

She's lying...

But I'd wait to see where it would go. I wondered how long that lie would last her. If it went on for too long, I would expose it but that'd have to wait. It would be entertaining to see her worm her way out of it when exposed later on.

"It had to be after nighttime but before morning. Which doesn't change anything," Sachio chewed them out.

Kokoro commented, "actually it does. I heard a loud thump last night and murmuring, I didn't think anything of it at the time. It was probably around midnight or 1 am I think."

Miu scoffed, "And ya didn't think to tell us this any sooner?"

"I didn't think it would contribute-"

"Okay shit for brains, it obviously does!" She huffed.

Naoko interrupted, "Then we can assume that's when the encounter occurred yes?" He still had an off-putting smile on his face. Maki had been glaring at him every time he spoke, much the same way she did me. But it was slightly different, I couldn't tell ya why.

Rantaro agreed, "That seems like the right conclusion, considering it was the only thing anyone heard."

"Kokoro, may I ask why you were up at that time?" Shuichi pried.

She nodded, "Aimi had been staying in my room as a precaution so I was awake making sure she was sleeping soundly. What kind of upperclassmen would I be if didn't make sure you all were okay?"

"A pretty normal one actually," Naoko whispered.

Keade thought aloud, "What would've caused that thud that Kokoro heard?"

"Maybe one of them fell down the stairs?" Kiibo suggested.

"What evidence could back that up?" Shuichi whispered to himself. "That's right, the broken thread."

Aimi seemed to gain more interest in the subject.

"The thread I found?" I asked.

Shuichi nodded, "Yeah. There was a broken thread at the top of the stairwell. One of the people in the encounter must have tripped on it."