Chapter XXVIII- Shuichi's Aunt

(Shuichi POV)

I blinked my eyes a few times slowly coming to the realization that Kokichi was shaking me awake. Oh right, we have to get off the train!

I rubbed my eyes while Kokichi dragged me off the train by the hand. "S-sorry Kokichi-" I yawned. 

"The school was so large!" He boasted.

I chuckled at his child-like smile, "Glad you liked the school."

"I wonder what it'll be like once we transfer-" he hung on the last word.

I placed a hand on his shoulder, "Something wrong?"

He chuckled, "Nope!"

"Why are you lying?"

He sighed, "Why do you have to be such a good detective! Fine! I used to transfer schools a bunch, so I'm not fond of the idea. Nothing big!" I took back my hand and smiled at him. 

"You want to get some lunch er- dinner I mean?" I scratched the back of my head.

He grabbed both of my hand with an excited expression, "Let's hurry then before places close!"

While Kokichi held my hand and walked in front of me, I could only think about what happened the night prior. I should have known, after what he had said in the hospital about pulling the plug. I should've expected that he would only care about his money rather than being a decent human being. But he treated me kindly when I came home from the hospital so I thought-

Hahaha!

You thought he was the same person as he was when he took you in? 

How foolish! 

You should've suspected something was up. 

You're quite the terrible detective, not being able to see through his simple tricks.

He changed when she died, you know he hasn't been able to feel anything but rage.

And the booze... But he was acting like he wanted to reconcile and be the jolly guy I used to know as a kid.

Your aunt was his stabilizer, she was the one who kept him in line.

Then she died and he was never able to move on. She made sure to limit how much alcohol he would drink and helped him to stop smoking. When she died he-

He stopped caring about you..

I remember that day, it's something I can never erase.

He came through the houses' front door, reeking of alcohol. His hair was a mess, and I watched him from the top of the stairs, scared. He hadn't drank alcohol in years. What I found odd was the fact my aunt hadn't come home yet and she was usually home before him. She had also gone to get me some candy since my class would be having a party in the next few days.

In his drunk state, I watched as he smashed glasses and plates in the kitchen over his sobs. After a while he stopped smashing things and I went to ask what was wrong.

I tugged on his pant leg, "Uncle Benjiro?" He looked down at me with a red puffy eyes that were filled with rage. 

He grabbed me by my shoulders and shook me while tears poured from his eyes lifting me into the air, "It's YOUR fault she died! You just couldn't wait for your stupid treats!" I was filled with fear, trembling because I didn't know what he meant by that. He set me back on the floor then covered his face, "G-go to bed Shuichi. Y-you need sleep for school tomorrow."