Chapter XXXIII- Confession

(Shuichi POV)

Kokichi and I watched the grudge in the cinema room, every time I jumped he would tease me about it. It was hard to pay attention to the movie, I had been thinking about how school was coming up. It just reminded me of the game, we did stay at  the 'Ultimate Academy for Gifted Juveniles' after all. I just didn't have a good feeling about it.

With all that, trying to avoid my uncle was no easy task and I'm worried I might get fired from my job at the café since I've called in so often lately. 

I ended up passing out during the movie only to be plagued by nightmares.

Lifting my head off my desk, I was in a classroom. Kokichi was leaning against the door frame, his eyes closed. It seemed like he'd nodded off. Sort of impressive he can sleep standing. I stood up from the desk and examined the room. It didn't seem out of sorts but the windows were nailed shut with planks of window blocking any way of looking at the outside.

"Shuichi, what're you looking at?" Kokichi's tone sounded sinister.

I turn to look at him. He had a large smile, "Kokichi are you oka-" Blood trailed down his face as he walked towards me. "What happened to you!"

"You couldn't save me Shuichi- again. I died, and you weren't able to do anything about it," Kokichi clung onto me as he started to collapse to the ground.

Against my will, tears pricked my eyes as I held a dying Kokichi in my arms. "Stay with me!" I cried.

"Here comes-- another-- cla-ss--trial," His voice faded in and out as he drew his last breath.

I thought if I could protect him nothing would happen, but he's dead. This time there isn't anything I can do! There isn't some lie that hasn't been exposed. I don't want to be in this game again! I don't want him to die!

I rocked back and fourth, holding his corpse in my arms. I couldn't do anything, I'm useless!

The words I said the last time I thought he died crawled back into my mind. 'You're alone and you always will be!' I wish I hadn't said that.

"Sorry Shu-" Kokichi choked out. He's still alive- wait- a flash of his old bathroom door played over.

"No, no... NO!" I screamed. Flashes of all the deaths from the game played like a video film. I didn't want to see that, seeing it all once was enough. I don't want this! I didn't want them to leave the first time!

"Shumai- I'm right here." The atmosphere changed to a grassy field, Kokichi no longer a corpse but reaching out a hand.

I balled as I took it, pulling him into an embrace. "I'm sorry! I should have never said that to you!"

He wrapped his arms around me. "You don't have to apologize-"

"But I do! You died and it was MY fault!" I squeezed him while crying on his shoulder.

"No it wasn't-" Kokichi said as I opened my eyes. I was laying in his lap, he was messing with my hair. "Shumai! You're awake! Sooo, what were dreaming about?"

I stuttered as I sat up, "Nothing really-"

"What a terrible liar you are Shuichi. You sleep talk you know?" 

"And you replied," I pointed out.

He chuckled, "Doesn't change anything!"

"J-just a nightmare."

"About?"

"I have a bad feeling about school coming up, the dream was about being tossed into another game- you-you died-" I was choking up.