Chapter XXI- Face Plant

(TW: S*lf H*rm, read at your own leisure)

(Kokichi POV)

When I woke up, Shuichi was awake but he didn't move. I snuggled into him more.

"H-how long have you been awake?" He whispered.

I chuckled, "Nishishi~ A couple hours, or maybe I just woke up." He turned a fiery shade of red. Shuichi moved to get up, but I pulled him back down. "Stay." He chuckled but laid back down. 

The house was very quiet, and I didn't know what time it was since the curtains blocked out all sunlight. I guess Benjiro is out at work or something, yeah that makes sense. Shuichi sat up again, against what I wanted I let out a grumble. He started messing with my hair while I was laying in his lap. 

"I'm not a dog Shumai," I grumbled.

He chuckled, "But your as cute as one." 

I blushed. "If that's what you think." He continued to string my hair in his hands making me sleepy. "Shuichi, you're gonna put me to slee-" I blacked out.

The worst person imaginable came out from behind a curtain that had appeared in the blackness. It was her... 

My foster mom.

"You realize he's only pretending, you pitiful child. He's going to abandon you. It's useless to even try."

Of course she's the one manifesting my insecurities. Fucking great. 

"You're wrong, he would never-"

"You know he has before, what's to say he won't again?"

He said he wouldn't. I can trust him, "He told me he wouldn't-"

"And you believe it? You actually trust him? How foolish, anyone you've trusted before has betrayed you or died. Is there even a point?"

"I guess your ri-"

"Well of course I am-" Her form began transforming and warping into another version of - well- me. "When has your subconscious steered you wrong before?" He held my left shoulder.

"I wish you were wrong."

"But you know I'm not~" I knew it was true but I didn't want to admit it. I couldn't let him win.

"He hasn't left me yet, so you can't say that for sure."

He laughed, "Nishishi~  but it's only a matter of time. You tried saying the same thing in the game too, but you thought wrong then as you are now." He pushed me backward into a pit that appeared out of thin air.

The words 'your alone and you always will be' echoed around me in Shuichi's voice. But that's not how things are anymore! R-right? His voice drowned out all the the thoughts I had against it seeming like it was undeniable. I am alone... I might not seem alone, but I am. 

They're all pretending, just like I usually do. I thought I wouldn't have to anymore, not with Shuichi at least. But he just sees me as some weak lying scum like everyone else, doesn't he?

"Of courses he does, just admit it. No one likes you~"

"You're right.."

I hit solid ground feeling intense pain shoot up my back.

"Kokichi?" I was shook awake.

I glanced up at Shuichi, "What happened?"

"You were shaking.. Did you have another bad dream?" I nodded. "Do you remember what it was about?"