Chapter 58- Phone Thief

(Kokichi POV)

I scrolled through the phone, searching for whatever this new motive was. Until I went through the messages. More specifically, the DICE chat.

I'd forgotten the last message I'd sent. 'I'm Sorry'. Which got mixed responses.

Rika: For what?

Aiko: Probably something he said at some point

Himari: Maybe apology for a prank he has yet to pull?

Rika: Like the one at the hospital? XD

Akio: Speaking of hospitals, I got a call from Kueros parents.

Himari: Is he out yet?

Akio: Not quite, his surgery failed. He's not going to be around for much

Rika: We should visit him, even though he's out of town

5 days ago...

Akio: Hey guys, I was just curious who's coming to Rika and who's going to Kueros funeral? Since they're on the same day.

2 days ago...

What..? Kuero and Rika? I started to visibly shake. Thankfully I was in my room. Not again. I was being left behind again. Fuck, no. I dropped the phone on the floor, I could hear the screen crack as it hit. I fell to my knees and clutched both of my shoulders, still shaking.

How'd they die? Since when was Kuero in the hospital? Did they forget to tell me? Why didn't Himari reply?

I picked up the phone again and scrolled through the other unread messages and there was one from an unfamiliar number. It read:

"Hello Kokichi, this is Akio's mother. And Him and Himari, well here." A photo followed. I couldn't see the entirety of it but the headline of it was 'Mall Shooter, 5 dead, 7 injured. Suspect remains unconvicted.' No. No. Not them too.

I couldn't even text back. Were they dead or injured? I didn't know then, I heard it click on.

"Now that everyone has found their loved ones message, if you want to know what happened after that tidbit, all you have to do is kill someone! Not a huge sacrifice in my opinion! Nyahahahaha!" The monitor turned off.

Hot tears welled up in my eyes, and I punched the ground til the blood of my knuckles came through the previous bandages. My arm felt pretty weak too. I didn't care.

"One of us is going to die, you know that?" I thought back to my conversation with Naoko the previous day. "We are the most hated. Someone will pawn one of us off. So I have an idea." Guess I should get working on that 'idea', I thought to myself.

After I finished sorting things out, I plopped on my bed. It was a good distraction that's for sure. I layed there for a long while until a knock came on my door.

I begrudgingly answered the knock. A perky bob of brown to green hair at the door. "Hey Kokichi, are you coming down for dinner?"

"Maybe I will maybe I won't! Where's your little follower?" I asked since Aimi was nowhere in sight.

She sighed, "Well she ran off somewhere saying that it was probably best she isn't sticking to me like glue or something. Hehehe." Kokoro was pretty obviously tired.

I made a suggestion I probably shouldn't have. "You sure it had nothing to do with the motive?" Her smile and upbeat attitude disintegrated at its mention.

"I hope not, but it's possible." I wondered what her motive was, I didn't know her well enough. "I should go find her but I don't want to annoy her. So, you coming down or what?"