Chapter XXXXXI- Back down

Only two? Why would Monokuma supply three of everything else, but only two pistols?

I stood up from crouching, and took a second look, most everything else seeming in order. I gestured to Rantaro that we should leave to investigate other areas.

"Where else to search-"

"Mister Detective?" His voice filled the gap. I shook my head, I needed to focus.

"Shuichi? You alright?" Rantaro asked.

I nodded, "Yeah I'm fine. What about we take a look at the Kitchen?"

He gave a puzzled look but didn't question it. "Alright, I'll follow you then."

I had a feeling something had probably happened in the kitchen. That is where I assumed Eiko's cup had come from, so it most likely had to do with this case.

When we got to the Kitchen, not much seemed out of place. Only one cup seemed to be missing and that was Eiko's. I took off the jacket I'd been wearing and grabbed a few cups around where I'd thought Eiko's cup would have been placed in the cabinets.

"Same smell," I mumbled.

Rantaro was scoping things out and didn't hear me. "Shuichi! I found something over here!" He called from next to the kitchen trash.

I looked down into it, only one thing there. Something wrapped in a pair of latex gloves. I fished it out and carefully took out what was inside. It was a bottle of something, and if I remembered correctly, it looked like bottles I had seen in the science lab. No label on it though.

I showed it to Rantaro, "The next place we need to look is the science room."

"You're probably right," Rantaro added. "But we should be careful, this could've been from someone's talent as well."

"I don't think so, either way we should check."

He nodded and we headed to the elevator again.

Once we reached the second floor, we hurried to the science lab. We didn't know how much time we'd have left until the investigation period would be up, so we had to be quick.

There were a few people in the lab already. Kokichi, and Kokoro holding back Aimi's hair as she puked in the garbage can.

I decided to talk to Kokoro first. "Sorry, I'm a little preoccupied right no. What are you looking for?"

"Nothing much, does something seem missing to you?" Ranatro asked her.

She took a moment to think before answering, Aimi still over the can. "Hm, well I don't think I see anything missing. I didn't look too much into this place too much though."

"Thanks Kokoro, we'll keep loo-"

She interjected, "But I did find this inside the art room. I thought it was important so I kept a hold of it."

She held out her palm, a blue ball in it. Looked like a smoke bomb or something along those lines. But what would that be doing inside a crime scene? Maybe someone dropped it? But the only person who could've would be..

"Sorry I couldn't be of much help. Aimi has a sensitive stomach."

"Can't stand the sight of blood? She's in a killing game! And you're acting like her mother," Kokichi said with a cheeky smile.

Kokoro growled, "Better get off my nerves."

"But that's no fun!" He pouted.

I held in my anger, I needed to ask him too. "Kokichi, have you seen anything out of place in here?"

"Maybe I have, maybe I haven't, what's it to you?"

"Your friend was just murdered Kokichi? Don't you care at all?" I took a moment to calm myself.

"Of course I care, but we have to find out who it is. Can't let feelings get in the way. So what exactly ya lookin for?" Right, this was Kokichi. He hides his actual feelings away so no one can get to him, I thought.

I held up an unlabeled bottle, "Do you know where these are kept? Are any missing?"

He walked to a cabinet under one of the lab stations. "Let's see!" He looked though bottle by bottle until he looked back up at me with a smile, "Seems like Chloroform is missing." He stood back up and dusted his pants off before leaving the room. It felt abrupt. Like he just wanted to get out as fast as possible.

"Chloroform? Why that chemical though? Who'd be familiar with that?" I muttered to myself. I left the room with Rantaro still, trying to think of what to do next. I looked towards the artroom again, seeing what I could of the scene from the partially open door. Then I noticed it.

A hole. A hole in the door. There's what I assumed to be gunpowder around it. Things were piecing together. Hmm, didn't I have a gunpowder residue test in my room from the motive?

I rushed down to my room, somehow I lost Rantaro on the way. But I found it in the back of my closet. It only had three uses in it. That meant I had to be careful about who I asked to take it.

I went back up to second floor. I didn't think there was anything else but better look than be sorry later.

Nothing else seemed a miss when I got there. Sachio was just looking at the body, obviously disheartened. Kaede was trying to comfort her. I hated having to do that again. Just focusing on surviving, not even being able to mourn the dead until after the trial if we got the culprit. It was so awful. I just wanted out, back to the world where Kokichi, Kaito, Maki and I were alive and happy. It was pathetic, I know. But it was how I felt.

Angie and Gonta were there as well, but didn't seem to be doing much at the time. They were talking, but I couldn't hear about what. Knowing those two, probably Atua or bugs.

The speakers switched on, "Everyone please report to the cafeteria and let's get this crazy class trial started!"

I met everyone at the cafeteria. The walls sinking into each other, to show the elevator. Everyone piled inside. Again, everyone still in denial about the situation we'd been put in. And the fact that someone had killed one of our classmates again.

Aimi was shaking, a few were sweating, two were smiling, Sachio was crying, the rest with expressions of determination planted on them. I took a heavy breathe before stepping inside that dusty elevator again. Then it descended.

...