Chapter XXXXIV- Art Room

(Kokichi POV)

I closed the door behind me and began to walk back to my own room. He's upset which is understandable. Did I take it too far? I asked myself. No, I said what I needed to for the trial to progress. I couldn't let him die, even for his friends.

Maki seemed to understand that. He's just grieving, I guess I'll give him space.

I reached into my back pocket as I reached the door to grab my lock picking kit. I sighed, it wasn't there. Guess I wouldn't be sleeping in my room that night.

I wandered around the halls, eventually making my way to the stairwell. His body wasn't there anymore, but the blanket was.

Oddly, it wasn't stained or anything. Lucky for me I guess.

I went to the bottom of the stairwell and leaned against the blocked off section wall.

"Well I'm meeting up with Maki and Shuichi. I saw you and thought you might wanna join us?" His memory haunted me.

I had a lot to thank that guy for. I probably wouldn't be with Shuichi if he never invited me, I wouldn't have gotten out of that foster home. But then again, I wouldn't be here if I'd rejected the offer.

I chuckled to myself. I'd probably be dead. Shuichi wouldn't have saved me. That would've been better though, right? Then I wouldn't be suffering this pain now. He wouldn't be suffering because of me.

Damn, I wish Shuichi'd never come for me that day. Wish Kaito'd never noticed me on that train. Then maybe, none of us would be here. Just for all the suffering that the black and white bear decided to inflict.

I wiped my puffy eyes and wandered into sleep.

You should've died. The second version of myself spouted.

I know.

He would be happier without you.

I'm aware.

So what'll you do going forward? If you try to get close again, he'll only lash out at you. Haven't you done enough?

Then I'll stay away. He probably hates me again.

You're right, there's no way he couldn't. You insulted the people he cared most about, he'll never care about you.

Yeah.

I tried to warn you, he'd leave like the rest.

You did. I'm not a very good listener though.

As to be expected, you lie too much for anyone to tolerate. Hating liars you say, what a hypocrite.

Obviously, I can't let anyone know me because if they do, this happens.

So are you going to hide now? Run away pathetic little boy?

I won't run, but I won't let anyone in again. It doesn't matter how much I think I can trust them. I'm just lying to myself.

Nishishi, that's right. Who needs people anyways? You've always been alone, so what does it matter that you are now? Your father left you behind, and no one in that foster home gave a sh*t. They would've let you die, and you'd be happy now.

You're right.

Of course I am, We are the same person.

I woke up on the stairwell, it didn't look like anyone was around. I decided to look for my kit as the lights were on in the hall by this point.

I found it by Shuichi's door. I guess I probably dropped it in there and he left it out here. I picked it up and headed to my own room finally being able to get in.