Chapter XIV- Attempt

(TW: Abuse, s*lf h*rm, su*c*de read at your own leisure!)

(Kokichi POV)

"I don't think I'd be allowed to go." 'Think', I know I wouldn't be allowed to go. I was the oldest therefore, I'd now be the one to take the forefront of her anger. Before I got into a coma, the two oldest would take most of the brute force from her but now that they're gone. I have to step up. If I leave then Alex and the others- I don't want to think of that.

"How come?"

I wanted to blurt it all out at once but the words wouldn't come out. "I-I would in a new place, that would be soo weird!"

"Kokichi, tell me the real reason. Don't lie to me about this," he asked in a concerned voice.

I stuttered, "I-I c-can't."

He spoke softly, "Why? Why can't you?"

I was starting to get agitated. Why does he have to press me on this, I didn't call him for that! I was on the call for a few minutes of silence before exploding. "YOU WANT THE TRUTH? I-I CAN'T LEAVE THE OTHERS BEHIND! Not here, not in this h-house," I spoke between sobs.

"I-I'm sorry, I should've asked you that. It was insensitive-" I heard stomping up the stairs. Crap! She heard me yell!

"It's f-fine Shumai, I-I've gotta go-" I hung up the phone, set it on the nightstand and tried to pretend to be asleep. I knew it wouldn't work, but it was worth a try right?

Her eyes had a red hue to them. "What the fuck are you doing? It's too late at night to be screaming!" You're one to talk. "I don't have time for your bullshit!"

She started to leave the room as I muttered under my breathe, "I don't have time for yours."

Her head turned so fast, I thought she would've gotten whip lash. "DON'T YOU DARE START WITH ME!" She trudged towards me and picked me up by the hair once again. I tried scratching at her hands, but it didn't do jack. "I'm still pissed about the shit you pulled today!" She tossed me  aside like a piece of garbage for me to make a loud 'thump' falling off the bed. "Stop crying already! Fucking wimp, get to sleep before I toss you outside." 

She finally left the room, slamming the door behind her. She didn't even take notice that Alex was gone. My head was pounding, damn it. Another headache.

I heard a muttered sound come from my nightstand, "Kokichi?"

Shit. I didn't hang up like I thought I did! "I-I thought I hung up." I grabbed the phone off the nightstand. "Woops! I thought I hung up. What's wrong Shumai?" I asked even though I already knew.

"Kokichi, I know I shouldn't get involved in your home life and you clearly don't want me to. But I want to help. Are you hurt? What did she do to you?"

I tried to play it off. "You worry too much Shumai! She just threw one of my notebooks against the wall. I'm fine!" I heard some sniffles. "Shuichi?"

"I know you find it h-hard to trust p-people, but I am smart enough to know that a thud like that wouldn't be from a notebook," he stuttered.

I went into a more serious tone. "I know you wanna help, but it's not your place to."

"I have my own way of helping, you may not approve of it though."

"I-, Saihara, I've gotta go to sleep."

His voice picks up volume. "I recorded the call. I can help get you out of that home! As well as your siblings. Just let me-"

"You recorded it?" Maybe I can get out of here- maybe I can escape this hell hole as well as the others. 

But then where would you go?