Chapter XXXII- Planning

I trudged home, the base just felt lonely...

When I walked in, there were a few dishes in the sink. Does that mean Shuichi is up? Or is someone else over? I went up to my bedroom, he was still out like a light. 

His uncle must've just left the dishes out. How irresponsible! I sat next to him at the edge of the bed and shook him by the shoulder, sleeping in until three pm isn't like him. When I flipped him to his back, his face was wet. He had been crying, was it about his aunt or his uncle? Whether he knows it or not, he's the only one I can't predict.

"Kokichi-" He rubs his eyes and sits up.

I spoke in a quiet voice, "Afternoon Shumai." I wanted to break down but Shuichi had been down as well, and I didn't want to cause him any more pain. Especially when he already was going through it. "Did something happen?"

"I can never keep anything from you, can I?" He chuckled a bit. "My uncle woke me up a few hours ago asking where you went and said I wasn't allowed to leave the house. I had to call into work as well."

"Sorry, guess it's my fault then."

Shuichi looked apologetic, "No- that's not what I-" he paused. "H-how'd your dice meeting go?"

"Oh soooo terribly! Wow is me!" I exaggerated causing Shuichi to laugh.

"Thanks, Kokichi, for cheering me up."

"But I was soo serious!" He chuckled once more. Seeing him laugh like this, definitely brightened my day. 

He took a sec to catch his breath. "But really, how did your meeting end up going?"

I smirked, "Great of course! How could it not, me being the great leader I am."

He placed his hand on mine, "Kokichi, what happened?"

"Not much," I lied. My phone pinged, that's the worst timing ever. I looked at it, the message was labeled 'From: Dad?'

"You alright? Who's the text from?" Shuichi squeezed my hand a bit.

I smiled, "No one important!"

"Kokichi- I know it wasn't 'no one'. Your facial changed when you looked at your phone. What's going on? Did something happen at the meeting?" He spoke with genuine concern. 

"N-nothing-" I didn't want to worry him.

Shuichi grabbed my hand and pulled it close to him, "It must have been pretty bad huh?"

I blinked, just then realizing how exhausted I was. "Y-yeah. Oh god, my eyes are sweating-" I slumped over on my side, resting my head on Shuichi's legs. He let go of my hand and messed with my hair.

"Sorry if I seemed like I was pressuring you, you don't have to tell me anything if you don't want to-"

"It's okay, I just screwed up is all. And- I might have met-" I couldn't speak. I didn't have a father my whole life so saying I had one now just- and it hurt. He could've come back ANYTIME! But he chose NOW!

"Who'd you meet?"

I choked out, "He said he was my dad." He continued to mess with my hair while I choked on half-sobs. "I don't know what I'm supposed to do, he wants to find me but I do-don't want to face him!"

"Do you hate him?" Shuichi asked.

"I don't hate anyone even if it doesn't seem like it. H-he had hi-his chance! He could've taken me in, but he chose not to!" Shuichi wrapped his arms around me, pulling me closer to him. I was pissed off, but it was nice to have Shuichi listening.