Chapter XVI- Leaving

My hands wiped the new tears away. "So I guess your leaving huh?"

"Luckily, Alex said something along the lines of me being a foster sibling but I don't know how much longer that lie will remain concealed," he explained. I chuckled at him. "What?"

"And here I thought you hated lies!" 

His face flushed, "If I h-hated lies, then I wouldn't have fallen for y-you. Would I?"

"Hmm," I pondered, "Guess not!" I gave him my signature smile. "Nishishi~"

We both laughed, it almost felt normal again. But it wasn't, there was always a gloomy feeling in the air of the small room.

A nurse waltzed in, interrupting our conversation. "We were alerted that you're awake, so we need to run some tests." She was holding one of those blood circulation arm strap things. She gestured to my arm and put the device around it. She also put another device on my finger and after those were done, she took some blood for more testing. During the whole thing, Shuichi was sitting in the guest chair doing something on his phone.

I noticed the nurse's nametag read 'Tsumiki', what an odd name.

She left after taking the blood sample and Shuichi lifted his head from his tiny phone screen. "There's something else I have to t-tell you Kokichi." I wondered what it could be. "Your other foster siblings who aged out, also came to visit you and-" He took in a deep breath. What happened that's so important. "They've found families willing to adopt your other siblings!" He said all at once. So they'll all be safe?

"I can say one thing for sure, that's not what I expected to hear you say," I uttered. He didn't say anything about me, so will I be staying with them?

"Kokichi, I also c-convinced my uncle to adopt you-"

"WHAT?" I was shook. I would live with Shuichi? "So I get to live with you?"

"That's one to put it."

"You're amazing Shumai!"

At that moment the nurse came in with a clipboard in hand that she promptly dropped when she fell after tripping on her own foot. She landed in a very precarious position to say the least, Shuichi and I just avoided looking at her until she stood back up.

"Sorry, I'm such a clutz! You'll be able to leave in three days. We have a few more things to run tests on and getting you some treatment, so it'll be a few days until you can go home," she spoke in a timid and soft voice.

'Home', but I won't be going there. I'll finally be-

Before I could finish my thought, Shuichi spoke up, "Thank you. Have a nice day!" The nurse then dashed out of the room, almost falling for a second time.

"What a weirdo!" I laughed. 

Shuichi smiled at me, "Though that may be true, she's the one who will be helping with your treatment." He came over and sat on the edge of the bed.

"No way!" I shook my head. "I can't take treatment from someone as clumsy as her! She could stab me by accident with a needle or something!" I spoke loudly in a joking way.

He cupped my cheek, "It won't be that bad! You're blowing it out of proportion. It'll be okay, I promise."

"I was joking! Jeez Shumai!" I chuckled.

"W-when you get discharged, m-maybe we could-" he stopped abruptly.

"Go on a date?" I tried finishing his sentence and his face flushed instantaneously. "I would love to Shumai!" I squeezed his hand that was on my cheek.