Chapter IX- Movie Night

(Shuichi POV)

We walked and walked to my house, it took about half an hour and I mainly listened to Maki and Kaito squabble. Thankfully my uncle was out on the job, and he would be for a while since he had to work with another police force since the crime took place on a border line. It's the only reason I even offered to do this but I still wasn't looking forward to getting back to the house. 

At the same time, I wondered why Kokichi joined us. He didn't even know what we planned to do today, but he still came along. Kokichi is truly a mystery. 

I speculated, maybe he wanted to get away from home? His mother did hold his wrist pretty hard, he may have said otherwise but I know better. She was digging her nails into his wrist which I noticed during my encounter with her. He also found out some people close to him passed away, he must be going through the worst right now. If that's the case, then this could be the best distraction for him. He will have to face reality eventually but if I can help him in any way, I will. Because.. because..

That was the only time I've ever seen him cry without faking it.

                                                              ~~~~

We reached the house around 2 pm. My house was a two story with three bedrooms and a cinema room. As you may have guessed, the vacant bedroom is a guest bed just in case someone has to stay over. 

When we entered, I knew that Maki and Kaito expected the interior to look different. Kokichi's expression didn't change, just the same cheeky smile as always. The interior was modernized as my uncle liked it. Most of the furniture was black, grey or white. The cinema room however was the most colorful room in the house.

The walls were painted red with some tacky old popcorn signs and other 80's eques theater signs. There were about five rocking chairs all with cup holders and heating options. Even though my uncle wasn't a good person, he made good money and that had it perks. Although, I'd give that up in an instant if people got the actual justice they deserve instead of quick incorrect deductions.

Maki put the DVD in the DVD player and everyone took a seat. Three seats were in the back and two in the front, Kokichi and I sat in the back while Kaito and Maki sat in the front. The movie Maki had brought wasn't really new, but it was new to us since we hadn't seen it. The movie was 'It: Chapter Two'. We had watched the first one the previous weekend. 

Even though the movie hadn't even started, Kaito looked like his own fear would take him to space. He was shaking and murmuring. 

"Shut up Kaito, the movie hasn't even started," Maki said in annoyance.

"He's going to come for you!" Kokichi whispered from behind Kaito's chair and turned on the massage feature of the chair. Kaito immediately jolted from the chair.

Kaito looked terrified, but the rest of us laughed then Maki helped him up and back to his chair. She had already turned off the massage feature.

When we started the movie, Kaito nodded off within the first ten minutes. Later on during the weird naked granny scene, the music was so intense that it woke up Kaito.

"GAHHH!" He screamed as he woke up. "Maki-roll! SAVE ME!" He clung to Maki's left arm.

"Do you wanna die?" Even with the menacing tone, she was smiling.

About halfway through, Maki and Kaito were both out. Kokichi was still awake but it looked like he was going to fall asleep soon. 

"Hey Shuichi, I've been curious. Why did you get a job?" Kokichi asked.