Denmark x Reader

Denmark (Mikkel Densen) x Reader

    Laughter echoed throughout the living room as Mikkel and (Y/N) lounged peacefully on their couch watching the television program. (Y/N) glanced over at Mikkel to notice a somewhat distant look in his eyes. "Mikkel?" She gently called out, and he blinked in surprise before turning to look at her with a bright smile "Yeah? Did you need something?" The easy switch in emotions never failed to amaze her, but she remained focused on her original question "Is something wrong? You had a distant look in your eyes." He shook his head and sent her a gentle smile to ease her worry "I'm alright. I just got lost in thought about something." He tightened his hold on her and placed a kiss on the top of her head. Normally she'd brush off her concern and return to what she was doing, but she shifted to get a better look at him. She knew how complex his emotions were and that in order to figure out how he truly was feeling, she'd need to be a bit more aggressive "Mikkel, tell me the truth."

He placed a soft hand on her cheek and twisted his lips up into a kind smile "(Y/N), nothing's wrong. I was just reminiscing." She paused to consider his words as he continued to smile at her. Ever since she had first met Mikkel, he'd always been a happy person and it was a rare occurrence to not find him with a smile on his face as he rambled on about his topic of interest for the day. Mikkel, to her, was the personification of happiness and he showed her how to enjoy her life to the fullest of her abilities. However, there were times when she noted a slight twinge of sadness or days where he'd ask to be alone, only to come looking for her for comfort a few hours later. On those days, he never explained what was wrong, but merely smiled at her and told her everything was okay. (Y/N) briefly recalled those days and remembered that he'd always tell her he was just reminiscing about when he was younger.

    Mikkel's easy smile seemed to falter at the sight of determination in her eyes when she turned to look at him. "What are you reminiscing about?" She asked, placing her hands on his shoulders as a sign of comfort. The happy expression on his face gradually disappeared and he wrapped his arms around her waist "My past, when everyone was still together." She ran a soothing hand through his blonde locks "Do you mean your fellow Nordics?" He hummed in affirmation, tightening his hold as tears threatened to escape "It feels like my family is so far away. I hardly have the time to see them, and when I'm free, they're either too busy or too far away to see me. You'd think with the advancement of transportation it would be easier to see them, but it just feels like everyone of them is so far away from me."

(Y/N) hummed to demonstrate her engagement in the conversation and he continued to ramble "It used to be all of us together. We would spend every day together hunting, fishing, and talking to each other by the fire. It felt like we were a real family, but now it just feels like we're distant cousins." His words died out and (Y/N) tightened her embrace "Mikkel look at me." He hesitated for a moment before turning to look up at her with teary blue eyes. She smiled gently at him and wiped away the tears running down his cheeks "You can do that again. Well maybe not the hunting and fishing part all the time, but you can be together with them and talk by the fire, it just takes a bit more effort."

He nodded in understanding and she shifted to grab her phone to look at their shared calendar "How about we plan a week long trip in advance? That way everyone has the time to plan their schedule around it." His happy smile returned, and it reminded (Y/N) of how complex his emotions are "And Mikkel?" "Hmm?" "I'm sure the others feel the same way and want to be together with you again" she commented, and his smile grew before he placed a quick kiss on her lips "Thank you (Y/N)." She laughed lightly in reply as he raced around the house in search of his phone to contact the other Nordics.

    Snow fell quickly as the time passed by and (Y/N) snuggled closer into her blanket to warm herself up. The fire raged in front of them as the Nordic family chatted with each other while surrounded by blankets and countless mugs dirty from hot chocolate. Mikkel smiled brightly at a comment made by Lukas and launched into an embarrassing story about Lukas, which earned him a light jab from the Norwegian. Mikkel laughed at the action and turned to look over at (Y/N) with a happy smile filled with love and she smiled back in response.

Notes:

Prompt: Complex

I feel like with Mikkel his happy expression is just a mask so this chapter played off that idea.

I hope you enjoyed it

Estonia is next