South Italy/Romano x Reader

South Italy/Romano (Lovino Vargas) x Reader

People chatted around her as she patiently waited for her friend to join her at the small cafe. The southern Italian had texted her he would be a few minutes late because his younger brother had held him up. She scanned the cafe as she thought about Lovino. The two had met recently and had quickly grown close during the months. "(Y/N)?" She looked up to meet the blue eyes of her German boyfriend "Hey Ludwig." He looked at the empty seat situated across from her "Why are you here alone?" "I'm meeting Lovino" she smiled up at him, "Would you like to join us?" He hesitated. He knew the Italian hated him. Lovino entered the cafe and frowned at the sight of the German. He kept his tone light as he greeted (Y/N) "Sorry for being late. Is he joining us?" (Y/N) greeted Lovino with a quick hug "It's okay. I invited him to stay." Lovino ignored the discomfort in his chest and remained silent. 

Ludwig shook his head and planted a soft kiss on her lips "I should go. Alfred needed my help with something." She silently nodded in disappointment, ignorant to the Italian's misery at the sight of the young couple. (Y/N) turned her attention to Lovino "How have things been? Everything okay at home and work?" She failed to take notice of the quick change in his expression as he replied with a fake smile on his face "It's been good. I can't complain. I mean sometimes Feliciano can be a pain, but he's my brother." She nodded "Family, got to love them, right?" "Yeah." They continued to converse for an hour and a real smile had managed to form on Lovino's face.

The southern Italian enjoyed her company immensely. He felt comfortable and content when he was around her unless her boyfriend was there. It hurt him to see her laughing and smiling with Ludwig. He had developed an intense crush on (Y/N) around the fourth time they hung out, but never had the chance to act on his feelings. He knew she had no clue about his true feelings. He knew she was ignorant about a lot of things about him. "Lovino?" She questioned, watching him with slight worry. He blinked slightly before sending her a comforting smile "I'm fine. Just spaced out." Her bright smile was all he needed to feel better "Good. Now let's head out to begin our mini golf competition." He rolled his eyes and followed her out of the cafe "How about a football game instead?" She turned around to look at him "You already know why Lovino." He chuckled slightly "Not my fault you can't dribble past defenders." 

She turned around and walked off to the mini golf course, missing the pink dusting the cheeks of the Italian. He obediently followed her, making a few snide remarks, amused by her embarrassed expressions. "Maybe I should make you verse Ludwig who will defend my honour" she stated. She continued walking, failing to notice the frown on Lovino's face. He ignored the jealously threatening to rise "That damn potato-bastard could never beat me." She glanced back at him with a small smile "Should I remind you of the Italy vs. Germany match of March 29, 2016? 4-1 Lovino." He pushed her slightly "How about when Italy beat Germany 4-1 on March 1st, 2006?" (Y/N) scoffed and pushed him back "That was so long ago." The two continued their banter well through their mini golf tournament.

Time passed and (Y/N) found herself sitting alone at the cafe once again. She had broken up with Ludwig not long ago. She anxiously fiddled with her drink as she thought about the southern Italian who would be joining her. She had fallen in love with him a long time ago, but she had remained ignorant of her own emotions. She figured it out and decided it would be unfair to remain with Ludwig. She didn't want to use him. Lovino entered the cafe with a smile on his face. She smiled up at him, trying her best to push away her own feelings. He took a seat across from her "How are you feeling? I heard about..." She shrugged her shoulders "I'm okay. I'm the one who did it. I just hope he's feeling alright." 

He nodded in reply. She took a deep breath "Actually Lovino I wanted to talk to you about something." He gestured for her to continue. "Lovino, I.." She stopped when a female walked into the cafe and stopped at their table. She sent a quick smile at (Y/N) before turning to Lovino "You still up for tonight?" He nodded and looked up at her "I'll pick you up at 7." She pecked his lips "Love you." He sent the female a flirty smile "I love you too." He turned to look at (Y/N) once again "Sorry. What were you saying?" She forced a small smile on her face "Nothing important." 

Author's Note

When I say the word football I mean soccer, not American football. In terms of the games they referenced, both games were international friendlies between Germany and Italy. 

Prompt: Ignorance. So basically the idea was that her own ignorance of his feelings and her own feelings caused her to miss out. Originally it was going to just be Lovino and how it hurt him to be friendzoned, but then I decided to change it up and punish the reader instead (sorry). 

The female is just some random girl. I didn't give the character a name because I really don't want any shipping wars so I kept it anonymous. 

Hope you enjoyed this chapter. 

Next character is Scotland