England x Reader

England (Arthur Kirkland) x Reader

Books littered his office as Arthur frantically walked from one end of the room to the other. Thoughts ran rampant within his mind as he worked to organize them in a way that made sense. A knock on his door drew his attention away from his pacing "Come in." The door opened to reveal his assistant (Y/N). He ignored the red forming on his cheeks at the sight of her "Is there something you need?" She shook her head "Just checking in on you. I heard you pacing." "Oh, well, thank you. May I have a word with you?" He asked, watching as she nodded with a worried expression. She took a seat in the chair in front of his desk "What's wrong?" "Nothing" he stated, "Quite the opposite really." (Y/N) waited patiently as Arthur fiddled with the books and papers littered on his desk. "We got funding" he revealed. 

He smiled as (Y/N) stood up and hugged him tightly "We're going to Cadbury Castle!" She pulled away with a bright smile "What if Cadbury castle is Camelot? People have suspected it for years, but what if we're the ones who prove it?" Arthur sent her a hopeful smile "We'll be one of the most famous archaeologists in history." Her smile returned to her face as she started pacing throughout the office "Where should we start? Who will join our team? How much funding did we get?" Arthur placed a supportive hand on her shoulder "Calm down, love. We have time to figure this all out." She stopped and looked into his green eyes "Alright." The two got to work on answering the more important questions. (Y/N) interviewed people to bring along with them as Arthur looked over his research for the fourth time.

Four months after the call, Arthur walked toward the castle with anticipation. He glanced over at (Y/N) to notice a similar expression on her face. He was glad she was the one by his side throughout this process. (Y/N) took Arthur's hand in hers and gently squeezed it "I can't believe we're actually doing this." He hummed in response. They joined the team, who sent them a curious look at the interlocked hands, and began setting up for the excavation. (Y/N) watched as Arthur guided the team and issued orders, happiness clear as day on his face. Francis Bonnefoy, the man who funded the expedition, sent her a knowing smile "Is that l'amour I sense?" She rolled her eyes "If you're talking about Arthur and me then no." He paused in confusion "You do not like Arthur?" Her ears burned in embarrassment "I do. I think he doesn't like me."

 Before Francis could reply, Arthur came tumbling down the hill "(Y/N)!" She watched in amusement as he cleaned himself off before looking back at her "We're going to study the building that was excavated last time. Would you like to come and witness the potential Great Hall where the round table was?" She nodded with an excited smile and followed the hyper Brit into the large building. Francis followed behind them. When they arrived in the building, Arthur gathered them into a circle "According to legend, King Arthur is sleeping in Cadbury Castle. We're aiming to find his remains and any other artifacts that can provide evidence that this is Camelot." The team nodded in understanding and soon got to work.

(Y/N) spent day after day with Arthur searching for historical evidence to tie the castle to Camelot. Each day brought the two closer to each other, and each day Arthur grew confidence. He took (Y/N)'s hand in his and guided her down to the well "You know this is known as King Arthur's well." She nodded "I know. It's been known as that since the 16th century." "I" he began, pausing to collect his thoughts "I'm confident this is Camelot." She remained silent as Arthur continued "That's why I wanted to tell you something important right here." She squeezed his hand to reassure him "I'm listening." A pretty pink blush decorated his freckled cheeks "I like you. I have for a few years now." He watched her with expectant emerald green eyes. 

(Y/N) sent him a small smile as the colour on her cheeks slowly resembled Arthur's "I've liked you just as long, possibly longer." He snorted "Doubt it." "I've liked you since you hired me" she stated. He paused as his cheeks darkened in realization "Oh." He cleared his throat as the heat spread to the tip of his ears "I'd like to bring you out for dinner after we finish here. Would you like that?" He looked up at her to notice her bright smile "I would love to Arthur." "Splendid," he said, pulling her up the hill "We should finish up here. The faster we finish, the closer our date gets." She eagerly followed him up the hill.

Notes:

It's never been confirmed that Cadbury Castle is Camelot, but out of the locations that I found, it made the most sense. The facts that were provided in the story (I think there were like two or three) are true. However, some of the facts may be outdated as I got this information from my research notes I did for a project in grade eleven. There are more facts to support the connection to Camelot, but I decided not to include some of them.

Prompt Word: Archaeology. I think the connection is pretty obvious. 

I hope you enjoyed this. 

Next one is Germany.