Austria x Reader

Austria (Roderich Edelstein) x Reader

The Great War left him alone and broken. The one person who had remained by his side for years had left him. He knew it wasn't Elizabeta's choice to leave him, but it didn't make the pain lessen. Everything seemed bland to him. He tried to return back to his old life when the war ended, but his country was too damaged, and any sense of normalcy could not be re-established with Elizabeta gone. He shut his eyes and curled into himself on the couch. With the knowledge of no other presence in the room, he allowed his tears to escape. He couldn't fathom his new life. From what he could remember, he had always had someone there by his side. The silence of the house was slowly getting to him. "Roderich?" A soft voice called out. The sound of someone's voice felt odd and he momentarily froze. 

He wiped his tears away in a rush and his glasses landed on the ground with a soft thud. "Roderich?" They called out again, peeking their head into his rundown living room. His house had been destroyed by a bomb and he was still trying to fix it. He lifted his chin up and straightened his posture "Yes?" He looked over at his guest and he felt something akin to warmth enter him. (Y/N) smiled at him, though it seemed a bit strained "How are you doing Roderich?" He stood up and fixed his clothing "I'm splendid." She looked him over and internally frowned. She hated the sight of her ally covered in bandages. (Y/N) took a step toward him, but paused at the sound of a familiar crunch.

Violet eyes looked down at the broken glasses under his guest's foot. She looked over at Roderich and watched him for signs of anger. Instead, the former half of the Austro-Hungarian Empire sighed and sat back down on the couch. (Y/N) stared in wonder at the calm man before her. She knew he remained composed under most circumstances, but she had seen his fury firsthand and had expected even a sliver of his anger directed toward her. (Y/N) looked at his face properly to notice he seemed guarded around her. She supposed it made sense. The two had only been allies for one hundred years, a short-amount of time in the life of a nation. 

She carefully took a seat next to him on the couch "How have the others been? Ever since...I haven't had the time to see anyone else." Roderich paused at her words "Am I the first person you came to visit?" She nodded with a small curious smile "Of course. I consider us to be friends." He felt the familiar sting of tears, but he blinked them away. He crossed his right leg over his left "I'm not sure about the others. I haven't seen anyone else." Her curious smile disappeared and she shifted to look closely at him "Have you been alone this whole time?" He glanced at the floor before turning his attention to the clock behind her. She cautiously placed a hand on his. He momentarily glanced at her in confusion before returning to stare away from her in an effort to ignore his feelings.

She watched him with tears in her eyes. The image of the empire had disappeared and all that sat in front of her was a broken man crying out for attention. She squeezed his hand and blinked away her tears "It must have been lonely." His usual stand-offish composure cracked "Pardon?" She mustered up a calm smile, despite her own raging emotions "You must have felt lonely. In times like this, everyone needs someone by their side." He searched her for signs of deceit. He had been deceived time and time again throughout history, but he found nothing but sympathy for him in her eyes. He broke when she inched a bit closer in concern. 

Tears freely flowed down his cheeks and he nodded as he struggled to breathe "I felt betrayed. No one came to see me." She smiled softly and wiped away his tears "It's ok. I'm here now." He watched her with doubtful eyes "You'll leave me. Everyone does. Even Elizabeta left me." (Y/N) shook her head and inched closer to him on the couch "I won't. I promise. If you need me, I'll be there to help you." His cheeks warmed at the proximity and the declaration of everlasting protection and companionship. He sniffled and gratefully accepted her handkerchief. She placed a gentle kiss on his cheek and sent him an expecting smile "Do you accept this partnership?" He nodded and whispered out low enough for her to not hear "Thank you." Her smiled widened and she pulled away from him to give him some distance. She glanced at the broken glasses "I'll buy you a new pair." He fixed his composure to watch her with a small smile "No need. I have a spare upstairs."

Notes: 

He did not have spare glasses upstairs so he kind of was sort of blind (like life was a bit blurry for him) for a little while. 

The Great War = WWI. Considering at the time WW2 hadn't happened, it was known as the Great War to people in 1918/1919. This takes place in the beginning of 1919, despite the war ending in the year 1918, because it took them some time to see each other again. 

Her breaking his glasses is symbolism for her helping him see the world in a new light (very cheesy and very English teacher like). 

I like to think that Roderich is composed and doesn't like to show his emotions unless it's to nag someone, so the fact that he trusted her enough to break down in front of her is huge

Prompt: "Stand By You" by Rachel Platten, but more specifically the line "And love, if your wings are broken, borrow mine so yours can open too." 

I hope you enjoyed this. 

Sweden will be updated next, maybe on Tuesday or Friday depending on if I'm satisfied with the chapter and if I can figure out Finland's story idea.