China x Reader

China (Wang Yao) x Reader

Different voices and distinct accents floated through the air during the first meeting break of many. (Y/N) silently remained rooted in her chair and observed the nations around her. Alfred continued to bother Arthur, who managed to scold him and Francis at the same time, Ludwig just stared at his papers as Feliciano clung onto him while Kiku politely tried to assist the German nation with the small Italian, and Ivan merely remained rooted in his chair with an odd smile. Her gaze fell on Yao and she paused at the sight of the Chinese male sitting still with a lost expression. She briefly tuned out the distinct yell of the southern Italian followed by the unique laugh of his Spanish caretaker as curiosity swirled within her. The sight of Yao demonstrating a lost expression seemed unusual, especially compared to his usual happy or frustrated expressions.

 (Y/N) cleared her thoughts as Ludwig resumed the meeting the moment Feliciano had settled himself in his seat. The meeting managed to remain on schedule for a solid hour before Heracles woke up from his nap and managed to start an argument with Sadiq. (Y/N) wormed her way through the crowd as nations made their way to the cafeteria. She lightly tugged on Yao's sleeve to gather his attention. He stopped walking and looked over at her in mild surprise "(Y/N)?" He quickly fixed his expression and smiled at her "Since your here, would you like to have lunch together?" She nodded with a soft smile "I'd love to. We can talk over lunch." They made idle conversation as they made their way towards the cafeteria and ordered their food.

Thoughts ran rampant within (Y/N)'s mind the moment they sat down at a table. Yao looked over at her with a warm, yet curious expression "Is something wrong?" She looked up from her plate of food and met concerned brown eyes. She smiled at the clear empathy radiating off of him "I'm okay. Actually, I wanted to talk to you about...you." His smile remained in place, though it seemed guarded to her "What about me, aru?" She hesitated and glanced down at her food "It's just you seemed....lost? Is something wrong?" He shook his head and sent her a smile "I'm alright. I've been reminiscing. When you get to be my age, you tend to do that a lot." She sighed in relief, though a part of her remained concerned "That's good. I was worried something bad had happened." Yao laughed lightly and changed his friendly smile into something warmer "Thank you for the concern." The pair finished their lunch and made their way back to the meeting room to hopefully finish the meeting on time.

The meeting continued for another two hours before Ludwig announced another break. (Y/N) glanced down at the schedule Ludwig created and smiled at the knowledge that they had managed to get back on schedule. "Miss (Y/N)?" A soft voice called out, and she looked up into familiar brown eyes. "Hello Kiku" she greeted, shifting in her seat in order to better look at the eastern nation. Kiku glanced at his surroundings before continuing "I understand you were talking with China." She nodded with a confused expression at the formal name "I was. Is something wrong with him? Is he okay?" Feliciano launched himself at Kiku with a bright smile "Kiku! Ludwig needs you." Kiku's face flushed at the contact and he nodded in understanding.

Feliciano released the flustered Japanese nation and greeted her before running off. Kiku looked over at her with a hint of concern in his eyes "It's not my story to tell." She watched him in confusion as he made his way over to the German nation who smiled at the sight of him. She turned her gaze over to Yao who had returned to his lost expression. "Tell me what's wrong" she stated when she arrived by his side, and he looked up at her. "Kiku hinted something was wrong" she paused to think over her words, "I care about you Yao. I've known you for years. Please, tell me what's bothering you." He shook his head and absentmindedly pet his pet panda "It's too much for a young nation like you to handle." 

She fought back the urge to roll her eyes and merely smiled softly at him "I can handle it." He observed her expression carefully before sighing. His cheerful attitude disappeared and his hand stopped petting the panda "As nations our past affects us. My history is littered with different major disasters, both national and international. I still have all the wounds they left me." (Y/N) remained silent as Yao delved into the different horrors he experienced over time as a nation. 

Notes: 

Prompt: "I still have all the wounds" Lullaby by Lukas Graham 

Japan using China instead of Yao shows their damaged relationship

I know the ending is a bit sudden, but I didn' know how to continue it. Maybe one day I'll make a part 2

I wanted to bring attention to the fact that nations are deeply affected by their past and it makes it hard for some of them to keep going some days. 

Hope you found this somewhat acceptable. 

Next is Switzerland