Japan x Reader

Japan (Kiku Honda/Honda Kiku) x Reader

The door to the hospital room opened and (Y/N) looked up from her book to greet her friend. She smiled softly at him "Hello Kiku." He made his way over to the hospital bed and sat down in the guest chair "Hello (Y/N)." She internally frowned at the lack of response, but kept a steady smile on her face "How was your day?" He leaned back in the chair and tried to blink the tiredness away "It was okay." He glanced at his watch "I've got to go to work now. I just came to check up on you." She managed to hide her disappointment "Okay. Stay safe. Make sure you take care of yourself." Kiku absentmindedly nodded and gently squeezed her left hand "Tell me if you need anything." She nodded and watched him in slight worry. 

She noticed the clear fatigue on his face as his eye bags seemed to worsen each time he visited her. She knew he was working extra hours to help pay for her hospital bills and it hurt her to watch him slowly exhaust himself. He silently left the room and made his way over to his afternoon part-time job. Time passed by excruciatingly slow as he worked. Each action physically exhausted him, but he continued to work in order to keep (Y/N) safe and healthy. His afternoon job finished and he quickly made his way to his night job. The door to the convenience store opened and Kiku looked up from his phone to notice his American friend walk through the door.

Alfred noticed him immediately and rushed over to the counter. "I haven't seen you in forever! I didn't know you worked here" Alfred exclaimed, smiling brightly at his Japanese friend. Kiku nodded "I started two weeks ago." Alfred's blue eyes examined his friend and his smile faltered "Are you doing alright Kiku? You look tired." Kiku nodded once again "I'm fine." Alfred remained silent for a moment before sending him a bright smile "If you need anything just let the hero know!" Kiku chuckled slightly and nodded. His phone rang as he finished switching places with his co-worker. Panic settled over the normally calm male as he registered the name on his caller ID. He took a deep breath and answered the phone "Hello?" "Is this Mr. Honda?" The caller asked, and he confirmed their speculations.

 He quickly packed up his belongings as he listened to the voice on the other end. "I'll be there in ten minutes. Thank you for calling me" he replied, calmly shutting his phone before leaving for the hospital. He quickened his stride to the best of his ability and arrived at the hospital. The nurse at the desk looked at him in worry as she observed his physical state "Are you here to see a doctor?" He shook his head "I was called for (Y/N)." The nurse looked him over once more in worry before giving him (Y/N)'s new room number.

The beeping sound from machines filled the room and Kiku silently made his way over to the bed. He plopped his school bag on the floor and watched as she struggled to breathe even with the help of the machines. He took a seat in the guest chair again and watched over her for signs of potential danger. He ignored his own fatigue and remained rooted in his chairs with his brown eyes focused solely on (Y/N). Hours later she opened her eyes to the sight of Kiku struggling to stay awake in his chair. She frowned and fixed her position with some struggle "Kiku." He looked over at her "You're okay." She sighed "I'm fine. I just had an episode. Why are you here? Shouldn't you be at school?" Kiku looked down at his watch, but returned his gaze to meet hers "I stayed here to watch over you." 

She ignored the tears threatening to spill down her cheeks "Kiku stop doing this." He remained silent as her tears broke free. She wiped at them in anger "I know what you're doing. I know you're working extra hours to get money to pay the hospital bills. I appreciate it Kiku. I really do, but I can't allow you to continue harming yourself." "I'm not" he started, but silenced himself at the sight of her glare directed at him. She blinked away her remaining tears "Don't lie to me. You're the type to be silent even though you're suffering. It's obvious. How long has it been since you've had a proper meal? How long has it been that you've slept a proper 8 hours?" He remained silent. He didn't know, but he knew it had been a long time. "It's okay if you don't make the money. I can take out a loan or something. All I care about is that you're okay" She grabbed his hand and gently squeezed it "You've reached your limit Kiku. I'm going to be okay. It's time to stop."

Notes

I know that Kiku is sort of out of character here, but I feel like he has a self-sacrificing nature. Like if Germany or Italy were in trouble, he'd do whatever he could to help them 

I wanted to focus on the toll it took on him

Whether he continues or not is up to you, but in the end she dies, just to make it more angst like. It's sort of like how he did all the work and suffered for nothing. 

Prompt Word: limit. Basically, he's reached his limit. It's kind of like those cliche anime scenes. (I'm sorry that this is such a bad one).

Austria will be updated on Friday.