France x Reader

France (Francis Bonnefoy) x Reader

The tense silence within the house broke with the sound of a harsh cough. (Y/N) watched from her spot beside the bed in worry as Francis curled within himself with another series of coughs. Distant screams could be heard as (Y/N) rubbed a hand in circles on his back in an effort to comfort him during his time of struggle. "Mon amour" Francis breathed out, his azure blue eyes focused solely on her "Thank you for being here by my side." She affectionately brushed a blonde lock out of his face "I'll always be by your side Francis. I love you." A series of coughs wracked at his body once again before he could reply and (Y/N) rushed to get him his glass of water. He smiled at her in thanks as he took a sip from his water. Francis sighed in exhaustion as he shifted in his bed. Each movement felt like he was being torn apart from within, which he supposed he was. Sweat rolled down his face and provided a momentary cooling sensation on his warm and rosy skin." The people have stopped believing in France.... I can't say I blame them" he stated, whispering the last sentence with pain she couldn't quite understand. 

She shook her head and gripped his bony hand to her chest as tears welled within her eyes "I believe. I'll always believe in France." A small smile decorated his exhausted complexion "I know. Thank you for that." "You don't need to thank me. You know I mean it" she stated, keeping her gaze connected with his. For an instant, he felt strength again in his bones and he raised a hand to caress her cheek "I know you do. You're belief is what has kept me strong for many years." (Y/N) placed a hand over his and squeezed it "Then why are you like this? Is my belief not enough to make you okay again?" Francis shook his head as his hand fell out of her grasp and back onto the bed "Désolé mon amour. I need the people, and the people have left me." (Y/N) watched in sorrow as Francis shut his eyes as another series of coughs consumed his entire being.

A loud scream of terror followed by the sound of multiple gunshots entered the house through the open window. The loud wailing of a child and the screams of men yelling in either anger or fear followed soon after. Tears flowed down Francis' cheeks as he stared up at the ceiling "I've failed as a nation. I lay here useless as my people are suffering and dying in the streets like common street rats." His grip on (Y/N)'s hand tightened "I wish I could be out there helping them." (Y/N) brushed away some of his tears with her free hand "You're doing the best you can right now. You are only as strong as your people Francis. Right now your people are struggling because humanity has failed them. It makes sense that you are struggling as well my love." "I understand, yet I do not like it" he commented, and for a split second she saw an image of the Francis she had grown to love. She saw the nation at its finest with strength in his eyes and a desire to help. Soon the image disappeared and he became consumed by the weak state of his nation. 

(Y/N) shut her eyes as she gripped his hand with both of her hands. Images of Francis the first time they'd met flashed in her mind. A memory of the way he had looked at her in instant adoration and the way he had smiled when she had introduced herself appeared. She recalled the warmth of his hand during their first date and the warmth of his body when he had pulled her close during many nights. She ignored the sting of tears as she became hyperaware of the coldness of his hand that she held close to herself in an effort to keep him as close as possible. "Francis" she whispered, burying her face in his neck and breathing in his familiar scent "I love you." "I love you as well" he whispered back, mustering up enough strength to placing a comforting arm around her waist as he held her close.

Arthur Kirkland stood in front of her as he stared at the marked grave belonging to Francis Bonnefoy. "Why?" (Y/N) muttered, drawing the attention of emerald green eyes "Why did you let him suffer for so long?" "Excuse me?" "Why didn't you help out earlier? You waited until he was gone before you jumped in and assisted the country!" She exclaimed, staring at the English nation with fury she hadn't known before. "I'm sorry" he whispered, regret clearing his tone. "(Y/N)?" A small voice called out. She wiped away her tears and turned to smile at a child with wavy blonde hair and azure blue eyes "I'm sorry, my love. Let's go home now."

Notes:

Prompt: Loss. The loss of a nation, the loss of a lover, all that stuff 

Desole mon amour: sorry, my love 

Quick note: she's human. She's not a nation. If she was, she'd probably have used her resources and army to help out 

A civil war happened in France and it is set in the distant future 

Arthur helped out after Francis 'died', which is why she's so mad at him

The child is Francis' reincarnation, but he doesn't have any of the memories the previous Francis had, so it's all new. 

I hope you enjoyed this.

Next is Spain