always been you | m.barzal

Part two of "I'm Tired" as requested!

Summary: Y/N has been in a toxic relationship with Hockey star Auston Matthews for months on end, what happens when she finally breaks and her best friend Mat is left to pick up the pieces? (Mentions Auston Matthews x reader)

Ever since Y/N had rejected him, Mat had been having nightmares- he would toss and turn in his bed at night, images of his best friend crying and being torn apart by her ex boyfriend haunting him. Auston was no good for Y/N and everyone knew it- he had tried to come back and beg for Y/N's forgiveness again, and she almost caved- but when she pushed him away, mat wanted to think that he had something to do with it.

Staring at his ceiling, the room was pitch black- his body pressed into the messy dark grey sheets and his shirtless chest becoming cold with the Long Island air. It was December and had been two months since he confessed his feelings for his best friend. They had continued to hang out and go to all their favourite places, but something always seemed to dampen the mood- a bad omen hanging over them like a rainy cloud.

Sometimes Mat would beat himself up over confessing his feelings- he thought that maybe if he had waited, he could have given Y/N the proper time to heal and then make a move. But even he knew that it wouldn't have worked out. He had tried that so many times and it always ended with him being a coward- or Y/N going back to Auston.

Now they were In uncharted waters. They had never been in this situation, with the both of them heartbroken and using each other for stability. They were both strung out on a life raft and eventually they would go too far and drown together.

Y/N hadn't been doing well either, she kept thinking about what Mat said- how he had confessed to being in love with her. It was like she had been punched in the gut- not only had she hurt her best friend, but she had been completely oblivious to his feelings for her- spewing out her own emotional turmoil about some other guy for months on end when he had done nothing but listen to her and love her.

The music playing from Y/N's speaker only did so much to drown out her thoughts- every song reminded her of Mat, their late night dance parties listening to Justin Bieber or a sad ballad that seemed to capture her every feeling.

Auston had tried to come back into her life a few days after she broke things off- She had gone to drop off a box of his things at Mitch's apartment when he answered the door instead of the the skinny blonde. Y/N had been proud of herself in that moment. Dropping the box at her feet- she slapped him across the face and huffed, turning on her heels and heading home.

The woman must have gone over things countless times in her head over the last two months, she thought about every conversation with mat and Auston she had ever had, every sleepover and touch she had experienced. Looking back over the end of her and Auston's relationship she started to realize that things had been going downhill long before Auston began to cheat.

"You always talk about him Y/N!" Auston raised his voice- throwing his hands into the air as he paced around the woman's apartment. In the heart of Toronto, it was one of the rare nights that Matthews didn't have a game or plans with his teammates- instead opting to spend the night with his secret girlfriend, the plans for Netflix and chill quickly thwarted by Y/N's phone ringing with a call from Mat who was home in long island.

Whipping her head around and glaring at him, she scoffed. "Thats rich Auston! You're always with Mitch or talking about the guys! Mat has been my best friend for years!" She defended herself. Shaking her head, she was truly in shock at how ignorant he could be.

The man ran his fingers through his hair and huffed, his moustache brushing against his lip as he snarled. "But you act like you're in love with him Y/N! Texting him and giggling at your phone! Blushing like a school girl! Do you think I'm blind?!" He accused.