like a flame | m. barzal

Summary: Mat and Y/N both have a terrible temper, when things start to pile up against the both of them the weight becomes too much and they break resulting in the two of them taking their anger out on each other.

Requested: Yesss

There was always something going wrong in Y/N's life. It seemed as though she never had a break and the universe was out to get her. Wanting to push her limits more than were necessary just to see how much she could take. Whether it was a failed exam, having to pick up an extra shift or her boyfriend cancelling on date night- something was always getting in the way of her happiness.

This night in particular it was all of the above, not only had she scored a less than acceptable average on his quiz, but her idiot of a boss had asked her to come in for the late shift at the restaurant. Undoubtedly because he wanted to leave early. The icing on the top of the cake was Mat cancelling yet another date and blaming it on hockey.

Sometimes she didn't even know why he bothered getting a hockey schedule, it was always changing and it was always the reason she was eft high and dry. Usually Y/N was able to keep herself calm and go with the flow- pushing down her disappointment and just ignoring all of her issues. It was what her mother had done when she was younger and even though they both knew that it would only result in them breaking down eventually- they figured it worked.

Y/N was particularly upset because she had gotten dressed up for her date. Mat said that they would be going to the carnival down by the pier and then going for ice cream. So as she got all dolled up, curled her hair and did her makeup- she was more than upset when he suddenly called her and said that he couldn't go.

"What do you mean you can't go?" She snapped, It wasn't intentional, but after everything that had happened that day- she was looking forward to sending time with him. They hadn't seen each other in over two weeks and she just wanted to relax. But she should have known that it was too good to be true. She had never had a day go right, so why should that night have been any different?

Mat sighed, he was already irritated with the coach for calling the whole team to come into the rink again, the last thing he needed was for his girlfriend to be bitching at him before he left. Shaking his head, he ran his fingers through his hair and rolled her eyes. "Y/N I can't help it, if the coach calls I have to go." He spoke firmly. "You're being a bitch lately you know that? Like fuck I just need a break from you! Maybe its a good thing we didn't hang out

As tears pooled in her eyes, the girl did her best at blinking them back- her throat starting to become raw from how hard she was trying not to cry. "You know what fine. Go Mat, forget about me just like you always do." She spat. Before he could respond, she had hung up. She was being petty and unreasonable, but she was upset and she didn't want to continue the conversation. That didn't mean that she was in the right however.

Mat spent the next fifteen minutes trying to call her back and talk things out, or at least get to yell at her the same way she yelled at him, But it was no use. Y/N had stripped out of her brand new skirt thrown on her work clothes, tying the hold white converse and picking up her bag. She wanted to go into work early and just forget what happened, maybe make some overtime hours too.

The customers that night had been rather unsettling, leaving Y/N barely any tips and creating a mess in her section. There were screaming kids and crying babies in the restaurant and Y/N wasn't sure she could do this anymore. She was stressed out and just wanted to cry.

Leaning against the silver counter behind the kitchen, she was hunched over and breathing heavily. All she needed was a few deep breaths to calm down- and maybe a couple shots of whiskey. Arlene, her manager was a kind old woman with red hair and a southern accent. She was raised in Louisiana and had grown to be a mother figure towards Y/N when the girl moved out to Long Island to be with Mat. The older woman brushed her hands along the back of Y/N's shoulders soothingly. "Don't worry sweetheart, just another hour and then you get to go home.." She reminded the young girl.

It took a few moments for Y/N to finally nod and pick herself back up. She gulped and put on a fake smile- grabbing her note pad and heading back to the floor- she only had a few more tables and by the time she had 15 minutes left in her shift, Arlene was ready to let her take off early. It was a little whiles after Midnight and the sunset had been traded for a starry night and pitch black skies.

Y/N was finishing her cash-out when she heard a familiar voice call her name. Her back was to him but she knew exactly who it was. Before she even turned around, she could imagine his messy brown hair tucked under a snapback, his flannel shirt thrown over a white t-shirt paired with a pair of black joggers. A soft smile graced her lips as her eyes trailed over him, she was right. He was wearing blue jeans however, not the joggers she had thought about. "mat..." her voice was soft and delicate- remembering their fight earlier she frowned.

She hadn't been fair to him, arlene gave her the motion that said it was okay for her to clock-out. Within a few minutes, she had pulled her jacket on and headed outside with him, the two of them walking to his apartment which was closer. "Im sorry we could hang out today..." Mat mumbled. "And for calling you a bitch- you aren't, I was just upset." He apologized. His hand was intertwined in her and she nodded softly. "Its okay, I wasn't being fair to you- I was being mean and petty... everything has just been shit lately and I was looking forward to spending time with you." She mumbled.

As he leaned in and copper her cheek, he brushed his lips against hers and smiled. "Its okay- were both have busy lives.. and I just think we need to spend more time together, just to relax." He suggested. It was the perfect solution, it would be hard but they were gonna put more effort into their relationship.

"I love you..." Y/N reminded him, kissing back slightly as they walked in front of his building. He chuckled softly and pulled her close. "There was never a doubt in my mind."