heads up | n. patrick

Summary: When Y/N gets taken to a hockey game, the last thing she expects is to get a black eye

The energy inside the Wells Fargo centre was electric. Seas of Orange and White filtered through the stadium at every corner, whether you were a kid, a teenager or an old man, there was no denying that everyone in the arena was looking forwards to the flyers vs penguins face off. Well, Almost everyone. Standing with her back against the wall, a young woman stood out from her fellow audience members. She wasn't a fan. In fact she wasn't even sure what she was doing there. Y/N had been offered a ticket to that night's game as a last minute decision.

After her friend Alex's Friend pulled out of their plans due to a sudden stomach flu, Y/N had been offered his place. Alex knew that his friend wasn't into sports. She liked to work out and she liked to play them occasionally, but she wasn't the type to sit down and really engage herself in a game. But with no hopes of selling the tickets, Alex couldn't bare to see the ticket go to waste. So he offered them up to his friend so that he wouldn't have to go alone, and also in hopes of potentially making her a hockey fan.

"Could you at least try to look like youre having a good time?" A voice startled Y/N out of her daze. She had been staring down at her phone, doing some research on the team she was there to see. The Flyers. Obviously she understood what colour they were, but she had no idea who any of the players were or how the basic rules of hockey worked.

Y/N glanced up at her friend and offered him an apologetic smile. She knew that he was bummed out that he had to bring her, but that didn't mean that she had to act miserable. "I am- I'm just trying to gain what little knowledge I can before the puck drops." She told him. "That sounded right, right?"

Alex chortled out a laugh, even if he wished that his best friend could have gone with him instead, he applauded Y/N for trying to put in an effort at the very least. He nodded and wrapped his arms around her shoulder. At one point in time the two of them thought that they might have been a perfect match, their parents loved one another, they had a lot of things in common and they worked in the same building.

But there were only so many times that you could clean up your friend after a drunken night in college before the thought of them kissing you became repulsive.

Both Y/N and Alex felt that way. He was a frat kid and Y/N was a sorority girl for a brief stint. Their days of partying were behind them now, however the puke filled memories still remained.

"Alright- well we should head to the seats, the game is gonna start soon" Alex mentioned, leading Y/N to their section. If she was being honest, she thought that they were going to be in the upper bowl, she hadn't been to a hockey game before but she was well aware of how expensive concert tickets could be- surely hockey tickets were the same.

But as Alex lead her down towards the lower sections, she realized they were going to sit near the bench. "Holy shit Alex-" Y/N gasped. As they walked to their row, Y/N suddenly realized just how close they were. She could practically feel the chill off of the ice against her skin- if she were to take ten steps forward it would be like she was on the ice herself!

"I know right! Thats why I was really bummed when I couldn't sell the tickets- I would have gotten a great price on them." Alex sighed, passing Y/N her beer as they headed into their seats.

"So are we sitting behind the visitors or the home team." She asked, raising her brow.

Laughing softly, Alex sat down. "Home team- Flyers will be right in front of us- I'm hoping that I'll get a puck or something from Haysey." He mentioned, sipping his golden beverage.

Furrowing her brows, Y/N shook her head and looked down into her cup. She wasn't even going to bother asking who that was- she wouldn't know anyways. She watched as a few of the players dawned in orange started to skate around the rink- Warmups was coming to an end and there would be some announcements and the American anthem before the puck drop. Y/N knew that much.