whiskey sour | m. barzal

Summary: after a date gone wrong, Y/N finds herself saved by a handsome stranger at the table next to her.

Requested: yes

New York in the winter was one of the worst things in Y/N's life- between the bitter cold and the way the snow stuck to her shoes, she hated everything about it.

After the holidays, there was usually a time period that allowed couples to break up, just before Valentine's Day.

That's how Y/N ended up sitting at an empty table on a Friday night- having made arrangements to meet a guy from tinder, Y/N was looking to move on from her ex and get laid.

The easiest way to get over someone was to get under someone else.

Y/N was dressed to the nines. She had her best jeans on, a nice pair of heels and a tan coloured jacket with a white T-shirt underneath.

Her hair was styled and her makeup was pristine- she had really gone all out. Everything was tasteful though, y/n didn't care if this guy thought she was beautiful. She did it for herself.

They had decided to meet at a small pub in Brooklyn- it was close to the guy's place but quite the distance from Y/N's.

She wasn't totally okay with it, but her friends had pushed her to go through with the plan- they needed her to get over her ex, they could only listen to her rant for so long.

When Y/N arrived, she was somewhat relieved that her date hadn't shown up yet- she would rather be early than awkwardly late.

Grabbing a seat at the bar, Y/N ordered herself a glass of wine, something classy. She was surrounded by a few guys and ladies, all getting their orders and watching the Brooklyn nets play on the small television in the corner.

Glancing across the bar, y/n locked eyes with a handsome man- tall, pale and dark haired. Something about him seemed familiar but she wasn't entirely sure where she knew him from.

Maybe a concert or something like that.

After a few minutes, her date had finally arrived. His name was Andrew and he was a engineering student.

When he walked in, y/n immediately knew that this wasn't a good idea. He wrapped her up in a hug and he reeked of kush and vodka.

She was no stranger to either, but this guy was practically doused in the two and he was pretty tipsy.

"Nice to meet you." Y/n smiled fairly as she pushed back away from him- offering him a hand shake.

He smiled and just shook a seat next to her, all through the night, the guy had talked about himself non-stop, he was obnoxious, ignorant and everything Y/N hated.

They had moved over to a table- near the handsome man from earlier. Just by over hearing some of his table's conversation, she learned that his name was mat and that he was hockey player.

That allowed her to connect the dots. She had gone to an islanders game with her ex a few months ago and must have seen him there.

Y/N had been making trips back and forth to the bar and the bathroom all night- anything to keep her away from the table.

Her date was insufferable and any minute longer with him, she thought her head might explode.

After her seventh trip to the bar, she ordered another water, this time a presence taking its spot next to her.

"Hey you alright?" The voice asked, it was the same one Y/N had been discreetly listening to all night.

Turning her head, she saw may standing there a concerned and soft smile dancing upon his lips.

"Yeah? Do I not look okay?" She laughed, maybe she wasn't being as discrete as she thought. It was no secret she had been checking him out.

Mat ran his fingers through his hair. "Well I just noticed that you've been leaving. Your table a lot- and you were glancing at me... I thought maybe you needed help." He admitted.

So he was a nice guy. That was another thing Y/N could add to her list of good things this guy had. Joining the Canadian accent, dorky smile and frat boy vibes.

"No no... my date is just..." she paused, trying to find the right words.

Mat snickered. "A total dick?" He had been paying attention and could see just how much of an ass this guy was.

Y/N giggled as she took a sip of her water. "Exactly."

Mat glanced into her glass. "I think you're gonna need something stronger than that if you plan to get through the night with him." He joked.

With a flaming tinge upon her cheeks, Y/N glanced back towards her table where her date was chatting up the waitress.

"Actually I might just head out... He's not my type..." she admitted. He was easy on the eyes, blonde hair and blue eyed- but his personality turned him into a total zero.

Deciding to take his chance, Mat smirked. "And what might your type be?"

The woman got up and pulled her wallet out to pay for her drink. Barely paying mat any attention as she did so.

Finally she looked his way. "Well... I prefer brunettes." She winked.

Letting out a boisterous laugh, mat tossed his head back and smiled. "That's good to know- hey why don't you stick around for a bit? You can join my table..." he suggested.

Y/N hummed softly. "I really should go..." she sighed- as much as she wanted to stay, she didn't want to crash his guy's night.

Mat nodded. "One drink?" He pleaded- he really liked Y/N, she was attractive, seemed to have a good personality and he was a king guy looking to have some fun.

Y/N agreed. "A whiskey sour." She told him, brushing her fingers behind her ear. She moved a strand of hair from her face and waited for her drink.

Before long, the two of them were heading back to the table with his hockey buddies.

Y/N fit in immediately, her awful date long forgotten. Mat had his arm swung around her shoulder, the two of them laughing like they had known each other for
Years.

It was a peaceful change, one Y/N was eager for. That night, her and mat had taken a cab home together- deciding to split the fare.

As Y/N's apartment came into view, mat took her hand. "Do you think I could see you again?" He asked softly.

He knew that he probably looked like a player- and being a professional athlete didn't help that reputation.

But nonetheless, Y/N smiled. "Yeah..." she took his phone and put her number in, sending herself a text so that she would have his number too.

Opening the cab door, she kissed his cheek and let her hand slip away from his.

It was a great way to end a terrible night. On the drive home, mat couldn't help but think about their kiss- the way her soft lips connected with his and how her tongue slipped against his flesh.

He could taste the whiskey sour off her lips and by god, he wanted more.